007 | don't judge a book by its cover

lightning strikes wherever she goes

THE GENTLE TAPPING OF rain against the glass window soothed the students sitting within the school

THE GENTLE TAPPING OF rain against the glass window soothed the students sitting within the school. Many faced forward and paid attention to their teacher's lecture, others passed notes to their friends from one side of the class to the other, and some found themselves staring out the window, lulled to serenity as the rain floats in gentle waves as if gravity is a piece of soft music from the earth, a sweet beckoning serenade.

Mizuki was one of them.

She leant back in her chair, right leg over her left, and her new novel in her lap. Her eyes tore themselves from the white pages filled with creative madness, moving to rest on the window, watching as the rain falls steadily.

Seeing the drops trickle down the window, Mizuki felt a sense of calmness wash over her. She loved the rain. Everything about it. From the whispering hum as sheets of precipitation plummeted to the water-forsaken ground, to the often unanticipated flashes of lightning and rolls of ominous thunder. She loved it all. Those facts were what truly created, in her opinion, a perfect rainy atmosphere.

A slip of paper was placed in front of her by the English teacher, Minaho Ono. Mizuki glanced up and nodded her head, thanking the teacher wordlessly. She returned to her reading, unbothered to look at the information before her. 

"Alright, class," Ono-sensei spoke, gathering the attention of all those who paid attention, the only exception being Mizuki, who read her book, and another, who slept with his head laid on the table, "on the sheet of paper I've just handed you all, I want you to start with writing three things you dislike about yourself in English." 

"Sensei." The class all froze in their actions, dangerous chills rampantly racing down their spines as the frozen luscious voice resonated through the class. "Do you think it's wise to promote self-hatred in class?"

"E-Excuse me?"

"Some people in the world can fill out twenty of these, front and back, with no blank spaces at all," she drawled, raising her head to meet the gaze of the female teacher. "Activities like these trigger people. To encourage them within an environment meant for positive growth, both mental and physical, is an absurdity in itself."

Dread crawled up the teacher's back, plunging its claws of fear into her, poisoning her insides. Ono swallowed thickly, feeling exposed. Goosebumps travelled across her body, a sensation akin to an icy cold wind nipping at her skin, as she saw the sheer sharp intensity blazing in the Ice Queen's arctic lilac eyes.

Such a look wasn't supposed to be on a child.

"If we must complete this" she glanced down at her desk, noticing how the paper mimicked the knowledge given to the first years"frivolous activity, I suggest writing three things you love about yourself." Mizuki returned back to her book, having already scribbled down the words that best described her in English.