In Hot Water

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Zafar

I laughed so hard that I almost fell off the seat at the back of the police vehicle.

The vehicle is basically like a pickup truck, with an arched shaped cover over the back. It has two long benches facing each other where the police officers sit with the criminal, often. It is open air, so the cold air can get actually chilly if not dressed properly.

Why am I laughing like a lunatic, you ask? Well, because sitting opposite me was Fawad Ali, in a vest and jeans, but with too much pride to accept a jacket from me.

"Who would have thought that the Great Dr Fawad Ali, perfect son, perfect brother, perfect husband and now perfect father, will almost get arrested for being part of riots?" I couldn't stop laughing.

"Shut up, Zafar." He shook his head.

"Who asked you to jump in there like Salman Khan, ready to beat people up?" I asked.

Salman Khan is a famous Bollywood over, often ending up in fight scenes often shirtless or with exposed biceps,  at the very least.

With the blessings of Allah, we had gotten through the drama, unharmed. An ambulance had arrived and taken the elderly man to the hospital, along with the little boy.

"Well, I better go home." He stood up.

"Yes, face Bhabi now." I chuckled. "Good luck, Bhai." But as I took my phone out of my pocket, my amusement died down. Eleven missed calls from Fariha. Oh, s**t. Looks like Bhai's not the only one who should be worried about facing his wife.

"Let me guess? Fari?" He grinned now. "What goes around comes around, Zafar." He hopped down from the van and began to walk towards his car.

"You're still the one in more trouble when Jasmina Bhabi finds out." I shook my head and dialled Fariha's number, pressing the phone close against my ear to hear in the loud noise around me. 

"Zafar! Finally!" Fariha sounded relieved. "According to the news, these riots started being cleared up a while ago! Why didn't you call me?" 

"Fari, listen, I wasn't just standing here eating ice cream, you know. I was actually working."

"I'm not denying that!" Now she sounded annoyed. "But, considering the nature of your job, you could have called me once, or even messaged me, to let me know that you're not lying there hurt somewhere." 

"I mean, I literally had a doctor with me." I tried to lighten the mood.

"You think this is funny?" She snapped. "Well, that doctor companion of yours can go home and explain to his wife how he almost got himself killed for attempting to be a hero." The call ended. 

Yep. She's mad at me. I sighed, burying my face in my hands. 

****

Fawad

"Dimagh naam ki koi cheez hai?" Papa snapped at me. "Nahin pata to samjhaon uske bare main?"