Change and Conscience

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Jasmina

"Fawad!" I whispered, ducking behind him.

One moment I was snapping at him, and the next I was using him as a shield. Wah, Jasmina, selfishness ki misal ho tum.

*Wow, Jasmina, you are an example of selfishness.

With a mother-in-law, it was always like walking on thin eyes with your breath held. One wrong move and the ice will break beneath you, and you will end up in icy cold water, freezing under the cold glare of your Saas. 

"If you are unwell, why are you not in bed?" Fatima Ammi's voice was filled with disapproval.

I peeked out from behind my husband's arm, eyebrows raised in surprised. That was the issue? She wanted to know why I wasn't in bed, and not why I was being rude to Fawad?

Even my husband looked surprised as he looked at his mother.

My mother-in-law sighed. "Don't look at me like I've just grown wings. My own second pregnancy was extremely difficult and I found myself snapping at everyone around me." 

Ya Allah, I have hit my head somewhere, haven't I? I blinked.

I looked up at Fawad, uncertain that I wasn't just hearing things. 

"Go and get some rest." Fatima Ammi told me, gently. "Leave everything else to us, okay? We're all family here, we'll manage. In fact, Fawad, you go as well. You look like you'll fall asleep standing up. Both of you go, and no arguments!" 

"Arguments with you, or arguments with each other?" I asked. I swear, I asked pointless questions sometimes.

"Both." She warned me, before looking at Fawad. "She's pregnant with your second child. Remain calm and patient with her."

"I'll go get your ice cream." With a sigh, Fawad began to walk out.

"Stop!" I grabbed his arm. "I'm sorry, Fawad." I felt bad. I hated arguing with him and I absolutely and completely loathed being rude to him. Even if he wasn't my husband, he was such a good person that it should be illegal to be rude to him. "Yesterday, I yelled at Hania and scared the life out of her. I'm just very much in pain and very uncomfortable these days." 

Fatima Ammi, looking satisfied that we would talk it out, left.

"You should have spoken to me about this, Mina." 

"Oh, right," I said, sarcastically. "'Jaan, you just came back from a twenty-seven hours long shift, but please listen to my pregnancy problems that literally all women go through.'." I rolled my eyes.

"Look, Mina, we live alone and not with family, which means we're all we have to share our problems with. You need to talk to me about everything and anything, but especially about your health issues, no matter how long a shift I've had." He put his hands on my shoulders. "A father's job is more than the actual conception, you know? I have duties towards Iman as well, even if at this point it means to pamper the hell out of you." 

"I'm sorry for being rude to you." I whispered.

"Don't worry about it. You're going through so much for our baby, so you're entitled to being angry or irritated at times." Understanding as usual, my husband just smiled before kissing my forehead. 

Just as he pulled back, Hania and Ismael came running into the kitchen, both squealing happily as Ahad Bhai chased them.

"Dino Mamu/Chachu will eat you!" He growled out, holding out his arms as he followed the two toddlers, who were having the times of their lives. Bhai stopped when he saw us. "Oops, interrupting?"