Goodbyes Are Hard

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

I have decided to sometimes randomly dedicate chapters to random readers.

This one is for AmnaaIsmail! Thank you for your sweet comments.

****

Zafar

The sound of a gunshot sent chills through my spine, especially since it was followed by the distressed cry of my father.

"Baba Jaan!" I yelled, grabbing my phone for the light, and running out of my room and towards the stairs that led to the roof.

"Zafar!" I heard Fariha cry out behind me.

"Stay inside, Fariha! Go into the boys' roomwith Zaid and lock up!" I yelled over my shoulder as I continued running up the stairs. "Baba Jaan!" My heart was beating uncontrollably fast. The image of Baba Jaan hurt, shot, was making me feel sick, but I kept going. "Baba Jaan, are you okay?" I shone my torch towards him and saw him struggling to get up from where he had fallen onto the floor.

"I'm okay, beta. The gunshot startled me a little." He groaned as I gently helped him up. "I just got up to see what happened with the lights." 

"Why do you worry about these things when I'm here?" I led him into his small room, and helped him down onto his single bed. "Stay in here while I go find out what this gunshot was about." 

"Zafar, call your colleagues. Stay inside and safe, my boy." Baba Jaan told me. 

"I'm a policeman, Baba Jaan." I told him. "If I can't defend my own family and property, how am I supposed to protect the city? You don't worry, okay?" I closed his room door, shining the torch around to ensure that nobody was up here and that there was no potential threat towards my father. 

I glanced out across the street and saw that the SUV was back. I immediately called my colleagues and went downstairs. 

"Zafar, what's going on?" I heard Ammi Jaan's scared voice.

"Don't worry. I'm taking care of this." I told her. "Everyone, stay inside the rooms, okay?" I went into my own bedroom and grabbed my work revolver. I had no intention of using it in a residential area, because innocent people were going to be at risk, but these kinds of people were willing to hurt others in order to achieve their goals- which seemed to be threatening/hurting my family. 

"Come out, officer!" I heard a shout from the street. "Stop hiding like a woman!" 

The sound of laughter was heard from the other side of the gate. My guess was that these were youths- the same guy who I had fined, along with his friends.

"It will be in your best interest if you leave from here, quietly." I said, from behind the gate. If I had been alone, I would have marched right out there. But my whole family was home, and there was no way that I would act recklessly enough to risk their lives. 

"Man up, officer!" This voice was familiar, and it was definitely the nasal voice of the rich kid that I'd fined.

"I don't need to prove my masculinity in front of a bunch of brats who hide behind Daddy's money to display their fake power." I paused. "This is my final warning to you. If you don't back down now, even your father's money won't protect you."