Epilogue

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

A FEW YEARS LATER

Fariha

"Mamma!" An annoyed voice said, as I stood in the kitchen, making lunch.

I turned and saw four-years-old Zaid in the doorway, pouting. "Kya hua, baby?"

*"What happened, baby?"

"Saad Bhai playing cricket. He said Zaid can't play!" He said, tears filling his eyes.

I smiled. "That's because you are smaller than him and his friends, and you will get hurt, angel. You can play with Ibrahim when we go to Ahad Chachu's house one day."

Zaid called Ahad 'Chachu', and nobody corrected him because it was true in a way. 

"Lets go, Mamma!" He walked forward and grabbed my dupatta, and tried to drag me out.

"I'm cooking, jaani. We can go tomorrow." I said. I had just returned from the clinic, but I had to make lunch today as Mahnoor was at school, where she was a qualified teacher now, and Ammi Jaan was now too unwell to do any housework. 

 "Zaid..." I said, before an idea occurred to me. "Omar, beta!" 

"Yes, Mamma." Thirteen-years-old Omar ran in almost immediately.

"Please play with Zaid." I said. "I have to cook, and Saad won't let him play cricket with him."

"Sure, Mamma." Omar gently coaxed Zaid into going with him, and then took him outside.

Our new home was beautiful and cosy, Ma Sha Allah. Ammi Jaan and Baba Jaan had their own bedroom on the ground floor, as it was not possible for them to climb stairs now. My room was upstairs, as well as Mahnoor's, Omar's and the room which Saad shared with Zaid. Omar was a teenager now, so Zafar himself had suggested that he got his own room. 

I have to be honest, I wasn't complaining but I missed our veranda. The only open space here was the car porch, just big enough to fit our car and Zafar's bike.

As I cooked palak chicken (spinach and chicken curry) with boiled rice, I thought about how beautiful my life was, Ma Sha Allah. My husband was so loving and considerate, but I was also proud of how hard and honestly he worked. A junior colleague of his had been promoted to a level above him, and proudly bragged that it was because of 'fishy business'. Who wants promotion on that basis? It's better to honestly remain on a lower position than to use dishonest means to get promoted.

"Bohat achi khusbhoo aarahi hai." Zafar's voice surprised me, making me jump.

*"It smells very nice."

"Assalam Alaikum." I said. "Palak chicken bana rahi hoon." 

*"I'm making spinach chicken curry."

"Walaikum Assalam, and I wasn't talking about the food." He came up behind me, putting his hands on my waist as he placed a discreet kiss on my neck.