Nazar (Evil Eye)

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Ahad

"What did he do, Jasmina?" I repeated.

"He didn't do anything." She replied, sharply. "I...I feel trapped inside my own head, and I just want to be around Ammi and Papa, and you all. Bhai, I want to come to Lahore. I'm so sick and tired of being here. Why am I feeling like this? I'm at home."

"Jazzy, I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through, because I will never actually give birth. But as a doctor, I understand the effects of childbirth, and it's not just physical. You need to cut your mind a break, and think that it is just recovering from Iman's birth, which is why you are feeling the way that you are." I gently spoke to her.

Zoya nodded thoughtfully, as if she was a part of the conversation. Clearly, despite her anger, she was agreeing with my words.

"Where's Fawad Bhai?" I immediately felt guilty for automatically assuming his guilt.

"He has just taken Hania and Iman for a drive. Hania was insisting and he figured he would take Iman along. I didn't want to go."

"Listen to your brother's advice, okay? Next time, go along with them. Spending time with them will keep you distracted from idle thoughts, and would cheer you up as well."

"I feel so sad, Bhai."

"I know you do," I paced my bedroom thoughtfully. "But remind yourself how much Allah has blessed you, okay? He gave you a loving husband, two beautiful and adorable girls. Ma Sha Allah." Witnessing Zafar say goodbye to his younger sister as a bride, I was once again reminded of how much I cherished and valued my little sister. "In Sha Allah, you will be fine, beta. Like the body needs time to heal after childbirth, so does the mind. People tend to forget that."

The term 'beta' was usually reserved for adults to use for the younger generation, but Arhaan Bhai had called her that as long as I could remember. And now, when I was feeling like a totally overprotective big brother, I found myself calling her that as well.

I refused to let Aliya's words negatively affect me.

Zoya was smiling at me, almost proudly.

"Okay, Bhai. Thank you. Sorry for worrying you."

"Don't be silly. Kabhi jhijhak na nahin, mera paas aane se agar koi pareshani ho, okay?"

*"Never hesitate to come to me if you're worried, okay?"

"Okay, Bhai." She sniffed. "Tell Zoya Bhabi to send me the photos of the dresses everyone wore today."

I smiled. "I will. Allah Hafiz, Jazzy."

"Allah Hafiz, Bhai."

I hung up and saw Zoya staring at me like I was a celebrity or something. "What?"

She walked over to me, pressed her hands against my chest and began to gently push me backwards towards the bed until I was sitting down. She straddled my lap, sliding her hands up the side of my face and through my hair. "I was going to stay mad at you, but your behaviour just now reminded me of the person you have become. I'm not going to unnecessarily stay mad at you." 

I sighed. "It wasn't unnecessarily, Zo. I would have been mad as well, if the roles were reversed."

"Except for the fact that I don't have an ex. You're my first and only." She winked at me, before leaning forward to nibble at my earlobe. "And my Allah knows how grateful I am for that."