An Alien In Our Backyard

CHAPTER THREE

ADELAIDE

I drop onto the bench and yawn. My eyes are really droopy and tiredness etches on every one of my joints, I drop my head on the table.

No, it wasn't a nightmare. Yes, I'm still in here. Yes, this is a real place.

So, am I really gonna have to live here? Without my memories?

I must have committed some great sin to get God so pissed at me.

Newt places the plates in front of me and sits down, sniggering at me.

"Stop laughing, Satan-spawn." I grumble.

"Can't help it, Greenie. You look like a five year old forcibly pulled out of the bed."

"I think I'm allergic to mornings."

"Perhaps food can cheer you up?"

I pull my head up from the tables and pull the plate of mashed potatoes and chicken strips towards me, shoving a mouthful of the potatoes. My eyes trail around the Dining Hall, seeing almost few of the table filled with small groups of boys, laughing and eating.

"Do you guys have separate groups of friends?"

"Uh.. yeah, you can say that. Basically based on the people you work with. Like all the builders sit together, mostly. Get it?" I nod. "But you can have other friends too. Like Eric- the guy whose toe you stabbed yesterday- has friends from the Baggers and the Cooks too. And he is a Track-Hoe."

"Who comes up with these weird-ass names?"

"The people who came up first. All we did for a first few weeks was cursing, right And then when Minho came, all our curses felt like a toddler learning to speak, in front of his, so to maintain disparity and a little bit of dignity, we created new words and slangs."

Suddenly a large arm is swung around Newt's shoulder, Mr. Spiky Hair, shoving Newt aside easily as he sits beside him, balancing his plate on the other hand.

"Hey, Mama-Noot , already sticking around with Greenie?" He smiles looking at me. Newt shoves Minho's hand off his shoulder.

"That's Minho, the shank-"

"Whose head was a football yesterday." I smirk at Minho.

"That's me." Minho smile, not at all looking offended, " That was the one and only one time that you will ever beat me in your shucking life. I would have met you last night, but I was too busy catching on my beauty sleep."

"Yeah, but you still need it. You look ugly." Newt points out before turning to me.

"If I am ugly then I have to be the bearer of bad news; you look like three week old klunk clogged up in the bathroom."