When Bats Flutter In My Stomach

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

ADELAIDE

I was so giddy with excitement. There were butterflies in my stomach.

No. Not butterflies. There were bats in my stomach.

I jump a little and squeal like a little high school girl as I sprint through the maze. "We are going on a date!" I scream. I am on cloud nine. I am so happy.

I squeal as I keep jumping, not really caring that I was going to alert the nearby Grievers.

The whole day, I can't keep the huge, stupid grin off my face. I am grinning like a girly girl, but I don't mind.

All I know is, Newt and I kissed yesterday and tonight, I'm going in a date!

I wonder if Newt is thinking me about too.

NEWT

I couldn't keep the grin off my face as a certain girl dominated my thoughts all the time. I know that the other Gladers are surely noticing me and me being the one in charge for the day, it isn't an appropriate behaviour but I can't help it.

She kissed me.

We're going on a date

I have to stop myself from jumping in joy like a shuck girl.

Will I kiss her when she would return?

Yes. I will.

Should I do it in her room?

No. No. I think that would be too much. I should not let her think that I want to take it fast.

Then maybe the Deadheads?

Yes. She liked that place.

Maybe on her tree. Her own place. But not her room.

It would be even better if there are stars tonight. It would be really romantic if we kissed under the stars.

Would she like being romantic?

Yes. Yes, she would. No matter how tough she liked to show herself to the world, I knew that she would love romantic things.

What if she doesn't like my arrangements?

"Did she kiss you?" Zart asks me, a smug smile on his face.

I almost chock on my own spit. "What? What? No! No-"

"Then why are you smiling like a shank?" he asks, leaning on the shovel.

"It's nothing. We- we're just close friends." I say as I dip my head lower, pretending to work, while I am hiding my blushing face. I don't want to tell anyone anything about us, until I'm completely sure that she is dating me.

"Oh please!" he scoffs. "Your sexual tension is visible from miles away. I bet even the Creators know about it."

I shake my head. I know she likes me. After today, I do know that.

"Whenever she enters the room, you smile like someone has told you that we have found the way out. If that doesn't explain that you have fallen for her, then I don't know what does."

"Man, you gotta grow a pair and ask her out already. Don't you wait for the right time. The Glade is filled with boys and she is one girl."

Oh please! We've kissed and tonight is the date night.

TOTAL WORDS- 478

A/N:

this is basically my shortest chapter that deals with teenage hormones.