When Our Names Are Not Our Names

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

ADELAIDE

It seems like Thomas loves to be the celebrity of the Glade. Firstly, he wakes up within a day and a half- a record in the history of Glade, so what Alby says. And then he calls out for an emergency Gathering.

Now, I know that only the Keepers and the Leader and the Second in Command are allowed for a Gathering, but being the most nagging girl in the Glade and also the girlfriend of the Second in Command has its own perk.

Just kidding.

Thomas the diva demanded that the girls should be there too.

So, here I am, walking towards Gathering Hall. It's roof is half caved in. Last night, the Grievers became even more ferocious than ever. They uprooted trees and threw on top of our hiding places. Among the chaos and confusion in the hiding spots, they easily grabbed anyone and everyone within their reach.

Zart. Methias. Leon. Amedeo. Willy, Rico and Owen

We are just down to twenty six people left.

Twenty six.

Rest are dead. Killed. Torn apart. Impaled.

I take a deep breath calming my racing heart and wiping my sweat away. The last thing I need is to have another panic attack.

When I enter the Gathering Hall, most of the Keepers were already seated. Alby, Newt, Frypan, Thomas were already seated. Teresa sat in Gally's place. I could sit in Zart's place or Leon's or Jeff's but I don't. Somehow I feel sick down my stomach. I can't sit. I can't take their place. They have their won essence and just because they are murdered, that doesn't mean that they can be even thought of being replaced.

Their seats will be theirs. Their places will be theirs, rightfully. Every person murdered, will never be erased or replaced.

They deserve that much of respect.

I stay behind Minho's chair, leaning against the wall. Newt raises his eyebrows at me, asking me why I was not siting. I just shake my head. I'll explain later, I mouth to him.

"Addie, you settled?" Alby asks, tiredness etched on his face. He looks aged more than he is. Tired to the bone.

I nod my head, enjoying the confusion on most of their faces. Thomas, however, smiles at me. As if he's proud of me. I smile back, impressed that he understood why I didn't sit.

Alby clears his throat. "Okay, since everyone is here and so are the girls and Thomas- let's begin, shall we? Thomas, start talking right away."

Thomas takes a deep breath and runs a hand through his hair. "So, it's quite a ...quite a long story and we don't have that much time, so I'm gonna jump to the main point. "I purposely got stung, to...to get my memories back. I... I had to know."