The Maze Gives Us Weird Words

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

ADELAIDE

I, Teresa along with Gary, Ethan and Dexten and Newt work for hours, sketching the Maps and finding a letter.

FLOAT

CATCH

BLEED

DEATH

STIFF

PUSH

I and Teresa sit together and quickly draw the Maze on the wax papers, not really minding the pencil dust on our palms. We decide to find more words, until we find a pattern. Newt sits beside me, his thigh slightly touching mine and I find peace in this small touch.

Thomas and Minho had gone back to Maze to see if they can find something out of the ordinary or something more about the Griever Hole and it's tunnels. I was kind of angry that they didn't call me, but Newt said that Minho told him to tell me to work with the Maps since I've spend so much time with them.

I know that it was a way of sugar-coating it, but it's true. I do know Maps. Maybe not better than Minho, but better than anyone else. But I hate the fact that they are treating me like a fragile china glass after Stan's death. 

I hate pity.

If we set fire in the tunnels, the Grievers will die surely and then once the fire sets down, we can easily get out.

But we don't have that much time.

The next word we find is FLOAT and CATCH.

"I think this is it." Newt says, "The words keep repeating."

"And we still have no idea what it means." I sigh.

"At least we have got something." Teresa mumbles as she cleans the table.

"Okay, now get to lunch." Newt tells the others as everyone scrambles out of the Room. "And boys, don't tell a word of this to anyone. We don't know what it means and I don't want anyone to have hope only to be crushed." The boys nod and leave the room.

Teresa also leaves and we are left alone in the room. I lean my head back on the wall behind my chair and Newt mimics me.

"Minho and Tommy will be back soon."

"And so will the night. So will they." He knows that I'm talking about the Grievers.

"We have to put better defenses. I'm thinking that some of us can stay in the Slammer and in the Box Hole. And some of us can be in the Weapons Room. Some can be in the end of Deadheads. We have to stay spread. We'll be fine."