Trapped Out

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

ADELAIDE

I sprint back to the Glade earlier than usual. It is about to rain- something I've heard is very rare in the Glade. Everyone knows that the Glade is climate controlled. It explained the warm, pleasant weather prevailing all the year.

I never saw rain in all the time I've been here but I felt that I would love it and I would love to spend it in the Glade.

Maybe with Newt and Stan and Chuck.

I have to get ready for the date too.

Though I'm wonder why the Creators are making rain now?

"Adelaide!" Thomas waves at me. Newt looks up at me and smiles tightly.

Why? What happened? Is he mad at me?

"Hey!" I gasp as I run towards them. "What happened?" I see almost everyone is gathered in the homestead with long faces. Stan stands beside Newt with his arms folded in front of his chest.

"They're not back yet, Addie." Newt mumbles as he rubs the corner of his lips. Something he does when he is worried. I check the watch. It's almost 4:30pm.

Why? They should be back by noon. It's two hours till closing time? What is taking them so long?

Are they in danger?

I turn to run back to the Maze and a hand grasps my wrist."What are you bloody doing?" Newt almost shrieks.

"I'm going to get them. Clearly something is wrong and they can't be having a tea party in there." I say.

"That's more the reason why you will not go." Stan buts in.

" I have to help them. Let me go." I say as I tug my wrist, but he tights his grip on it.

"You just came back. You can't go." Newt whispers to me angrily.

"I will. I want to. I can't leave them alone."

He grabs both of my wrists. "The doors will be closed in couple of hours. You can't go in there now. You won't be able to make it back."

"Newt. Newt, do you trust me?" I ask.

"I do! But not the Grievers and the Creators."

"Minho and Alby are your friends. They are mine too. I'll be back, Newt. Please trust me."

"I don't want to loose you, Addie. Please don't go."

I feel his grip on wrists slowly lessening. "You won't. I will be back before you know." I smile softly and cup his cheek.His eyes are swimming in desperation and frustration as he visibly fights with himself. His lips quiver a bit as he lets a sigh.

He leans towards me. I close my eyes, my heartbeats deafening my ears. Every single sound around me is silenced, as of the whole universe has gone quiet.

I feel his warmth as he nears me. I can smell freshly mowed grass and mud as he nears me.

He leans his forehead on mine. He closes his eyes, his long lashes resting on his cheek. I close my eyes too.

I feel his minty breath fanning my face.

I open my eyes. His chocolate brown eyes bores into mine. He rests his palm on my cheek. He traces my lips with his thumb.

"Please come back. Please."I see his adam apple bobble up and down.

I nod, taking a gulp, realizing the proximity of our bodies.He slowly lets go of me and I sprint back into the Glade.

-----------------------------------------------

The doors are almost closing. I can see the Glade. They are all standing there, yelling for us. I can feel Alby slipping down from my shoulder and I grunt in pain as I haul him back.

Why the fuck is he so heavy?

I am trying to will my legs go faster but Minho is tired too and Alby is too heavy for me.

"Adelaide!"

"Adelaide!"

"Minho!"

"Come on, Adelaide!"

"Minho!"

I almost stumble but keep pulling. Alby's all weight is almost on me. Minho is dead tired to carry him.

"Minho, share his damn weight!" I grit my teeth. I feel some of his weight off me and I start pulling myself to the doors faster.

Yet I am slow. Too slow for my liking.

I am out of breath. My heart pounding. Blood rushing to my ears. Sweat dripping down my forehead.

"Run faster!"

"What the fuck do you think I am doing!" I yell at them.

The doors are almost closed. 15 inches left. 45 yards for us to go.

I don't want to die.

"Leave him there!"

For a moment, that did sound the logical thing. It is better if one died than all of us three dying. Oh no! No!

"Adelaide!"

"Adelaide!"

"Minho!"

"Minho!"

10 inches.

"Adelaide!"

Suddenly Alby buckles on the other side, pulling me down with him. Minho fell down.

8 inches.

"Come on!" I start pulling Alby by his legs. Minho comes over and takes one of his leg and started pulling.

I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm not gonna make it.

7 inches.

My eyesight blurs with my tears.

I don't want to die.

I can't hear their yelling anymore. Everything is muffled as if I am underwater.

Somehow, I hear one yell that breaks my heart.

"ADDIE!"

TOTAL WORDS-828 

A/N:

MY FAVORITE PART OF THE BOOK!!!

please do vote/comment, its all about your support