The One Where Addie Gets Mad

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

NEWT

"Whoa! Wait? You mean you want to go there again?" I ask the two boys standing in front of me.

"It might be the only way to check if anything different is happening." Tommy says as Minho nods.

Great. As if Minho isn't crazy enough, Tommy's craziness is just what we need.

I rub my throbbing temple as I try to find the best decision.

What would Alby do?

I look up to Addie standing beside me, picking on her nails.Should I ask her? What would Minho and Tommy think about me? Would they think that I'm weak? Incapable of handling the Glade? Not worthy of being the second in command?

"Please Newt, let us go. It might be our only chance." Tommy pleads.

What should I do?

A soft, warm hand slips into mine, hooking their little finger with mine. I bit my lip as I try not to smile.

"Go but be careful. And come back in three hours." I say, feeling more confident than before.

Minho nods and leaves, Tommy following him.

"Have faith in yourself." She says after they are out of earshot. I turn to her, not letting her hand go. "I don't know what to do." I gulp.

"You don't have to. Just...trust your instincts." She says, her mocha brown eyes boring into mine, a small smile dancing on her lips.

"You know, I'm having a feeling that they will find somethin'." I say to her.

"We might be closer to home." She says. She looks like she is being torn apart; as if she is in some kind of war within herself.

Something is wrong with her.But why? She was so happy earlier.

"I don't know what should I expect the world to be." I say, instead.

I can't push Addie to tell me what she doesn't want to. For the first time, I am really frustrated with her.

Why does she always have to shut people out?

Why does she always have to show that she's invincible?

Why can't she trust me? What am I doing wrong?

"I think anything will be better than being imprisoned in here." She said. "And if we stay together, we will be fine."

You don't want to stay together. I can see it in your eyes. You don't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWT

"We found it in that Grievers." Minho says as I study a silver colored cylinder, it's either side having snapped wires, intently with a 7 written in its digital screen.

"You got that into the Griver?!" I ask Minho, gagging at the image of them putting their into the slimy, horrid, dead Grievers.

"Hey," Minho slaps my arm, "that was the sacrifice of the history."

"Why should you be worried Minho?" Addie smirks at him. "Griver gel is the secret of your hair."

Everybody looks at Minho as if he is drenched in Grivers goo, taking strides away from him. Minho wears an horrified expression with betrayal etched on his face as he stares at Addie with his jaw hanging down. Immediately, we all bust into laughter. Addie leaned into my side, steadying herself.

"If you are done with all this stand-up comedies, can we actually know what the hell is going on here?"Gally snaps, immediately dampening our mood. I tilt my head, telling him to calm down but he just grunts in response. I roll my eyes in return.

"Okay, okay." Tommy says. "This is the way out. This has to be."

"Everything is changing." I say, remembering the girl's exact words.

"So this is how it is going to be from now, is it?" Gally snaps. He is glaring at Tommy, his clenched hands by his side, "This Greenie comes in and throws out our rules as if they are shit. He goes to the Maze when he isn't permitted, when the Doors were closing. Both of these are clear violations of the rules here and clearly, Thomas is the only one to whom these rules don't apply to."

"I went back to the Maze when the Doors were closing." Addie points out, her heated glare on Gally, "Does that mean that I should receive punishment too?"

"You should." Gally snaps back at her whose eyes widens in surprise. "You should know better. You stayed here longer."

"So, this is what should I've done right? I should have stayed where I was, only hoping for Minho and Alby to return and when they don't, I should have clearly saluted them goodbye at their faces and continue my life as if nothing had happened right?" Addie snarls, all agitated and riled up at Gally and I tug her back. "Oh best, Frypan should have made popcorn for all of us. We should have only watched the two of them struggling to come back while the doors were minutes from being closed as if we are watching a movie!"

Gally clenches his jaw hard, glaring at Addie, but surprisingly, doesn't say a word.

"None of them did anything wrong Gally. Neither did Adelaide, nor did Thomas." Stan speaks up quietly, a few of the others nodding their head.

"So we should be encouraging Greenies to march into the Maze whenever they like, right and then happily eat popcorn as they are torn apart by the Grievers as if we are watching a movie." Gally's voice raises as he looks at Addie pointedly.

"Fine." I say, before things can get out of hand, "Thomas gets one night in the Slammer without dinner. And Adelaide will stay half a day without her food."

Acouple of Gladers start their complaints. Addie glances at me, her expression,confused. Tommy looks scared of the Slammer already. And he hasn't even seen it yet.

"Come on, Newt!" Gally groans, "This is it? This is their punishment? Do you think this will stop Thomas from going into the Maze?!"

"No, of course we can't have non-Runners march into the Maze whenever they feel like." I say pointedly, glaring at Gally as I use his own words. "So, starting from tomorrow, Tommy, you are a Runner. Get us out of this place."

TOTAL WORDS-985

A/N:

shit is about to start!

please do vote/comment if you've liked this chapter, it's all about love and support