Thomas Shares My Willingness To Step Into A Death Trap

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

ADELAIDE

I was studying the patterns of the Maze change. I usually do that before I go running into the maze, so I wake up hours ago before I have to train Chuck with archery, have Breakfast with Minho, Chuck, Thomas and Newt and then to go to the Maze.

Section 4.

There is a knock on the door.

Who is awake at this time? Other than me?

"I'm Thomas. Can I come in?".

"Yeah," I say as I hurry to shove the maps under my mattress, "Come on in."

He steps in timidly, looking at me, giving me a sheepish smile.

"I am - uh- sorry to bother you at this time." He says, his eyes flickering through my room.

"How did you know that I was awake?" I ask, as I pull my hair into a bun.

"The lights. I've seen it for many days. So I thought that maybe you liked to wake up early."

Oh! Yeah!

I nods urging him to continue.

"So, I don't know how to say this- everyone I asked about it- kind of snapped at me." He continues in nervously.He is so cute. Like a puppy.

"Just spit it out. I'm not gonna snap at you. Relax and tell me."

"I want to be a Runner."

I blink. Once. Twice.

"I understand." Is all that I can say, suppressing a smile.

I mean, being a runner- kind of pulled me towards it too. It was like, I had only one purpose, that was being a Runner. Moreover, I could only get closer to home, if I went if I solved the maze, not sit in the comfort and safety of the walls and work on and on.

No offense, food and doctors were very important. All the jobs were important for our survival. But I found it utterly ridiculous that the Runners to other Gladers ratio was so poor. When, all we should have focused on, is to get more people to be runners.

If they were scared to run the Maze, they could always help with the Maps.

But I came into the Glade too late to change the rules and these boys are sucker of order and rules.

"Being a Runner calls you?" I ask Thomas with a knowing smile.

"Yeah. Fry told me that my 'willingness to step into a death trap' reminded him of somebody." He throws his hands in the air, his two fingers of both hand, making quotation sign. I laugh.