Newt Gets Brownie Points

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

ADELAIDE

It its a month and a week after I came up, a week after Chuckie came and Nick died.

No not died. He was killed. He was murdered. Every single person who isn't here anymore is brutally murdered.

So, anyway, Alby decided that we can't be moping around anymore and that we should not let Nick's sacrifice go in vain.

"That bugging shank died, finding a way out. Most of the Gladers died finding a way out. So we need to carry on finding a way out, help Runners find a way out." he'd says one night, calling every Glader in the Gathering Hall.

I am very surprised that a grouchy person like Alby, the Mr. Rude, can make such a good speech. I know that Nick was very special to him, his best friend and his death has arisen a new, soft, understanding Alby.

"So from tomorrow, if anyone is not doing their job or is moping or is freeloading, will get his ass thrown into the pit for two days, without food. Gender will not be an exception." It didn't take a genius to figure out that the last part was directed to me.

Aaaahhh! Mr. Rude is back. He went nowhere. He's there.

I raise an eyebrow at him challengingly.

Of course I won't mope around and slack if you just let me be a Runner. But no, you won't. This is hypocrisy at the extreme! You are one of those people who won't let me be a Runner just because of my gender.

I didn't fear Alby. Sometimes I wish I could throttle him and hold his head under the terrible vegetable soup made by Fry. I just had to keep my mouth shut because, the Gladers were bummed about Nick and my potential verbal war with Alby won't make things any better.

So for the first time, I had kept my mouth shut.

"And from now on, I'm the leader of the Glade and Newt here," he pats the lanky boy on the shoulder, "is the second in command."

I raise my eyebrows is surprise as a smile makes its way on my face.

A great promotion.

Personally, I think that Newt will be a good second in command. A reliable person, a calm person and a level headed person. A person to whom any one can approach to. A person who will be the one to help confused Greenies.

Like he did to me.

Newt's eyes meet mine and for the first time in weeks, I don't look away. Instead, I give him a huge smile and give him a thumbs up.

Newt immediately smiles and looks down, a faint blush tinting his cheek.

Newt, the Second-in-Command.