"I Adore You"

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

ADELAIDE

I smile softly as Newt walks towards me, balancing two plates of food carefully. He hands me one and sits beside me. After my meltdown a couple of days back, I decided that it was best if I work my ass off until I get the way out of here and kill every single of those fucking Creators.

I know I won't move on. It would be insulting for Ben.I just want Ben's death to stay with me, fueling my drive to get out of here.

After ten days of being a Runner, running alone, Minho forces me to take a break. He says that it would be best if I take things slow, let my body adjust to all this strain.

Much against my constant disagreement.

So today, I am a Med-jack again. And Newt was very happy today. I know exactly why- because I'm not in the Maze. I know Newt is still against me being a Runner, but it's nice to see that he respects my wishes and doesn't stop me from doing what I want.

That is why I like him so much.

".. I mean, like bloody grow up. You are not kids anymore. And every time, it's Newt, this. Newt ,help with that. Come on!" he rambles on, as he waves his hand animatedly.

I smile as I munch on the cucumber slices. I like it how he comes up to me, talking about his day and rambling on and on. It is nice.

It is normal.

"They depend on you." I tell him. "And believe is or not, Alby is a jerk. And you are approachable."

"Hey, I see you two talking quite much now a days. And there is no throttle between you two too." Newt points out. I run my fingers through my hair, which is now tangled free and is open. I had just had shampooed my hair and right now, my hair and I both are in great mood.

"Yeah," I say, "He is more tolerable now-a-days. But that doesn't mean that he is Greenie-friendly, and like to help them. He still hates the Greenies and I'm not just one anymore."

"You do know about the kind of pressure he goes through."

"I do. And I do respect him for that. Greatly. That's the greatest job a person of his age can take. But yeah, he's irritable for that, and he takes it on the Greenies, which is not their fault. So, that's why," I twirl a strand of hair on my finger, "Everyone opt to go to the most approachable person ever. Who will not blow up on them."

Newt blushes and nod. "But that doesn't explain why they need my help every time."

"We are still kids. We shouldn't be doing any of these." I smile sadly as I remember my mommy's leafy green eyes on mine, her large, soft hands on my shoulders.