The Grivers Are Players

(the bold text has spoilers from The Death Cure, so if you've not read it, then please please avoid reading those portions)

CHAPTER THIRTY

ADELAIDE

The Grivers' sounds are closer than ever.

I grit my teeth as I pull onto the vines, hoisting Alby higher. He lifelessly hangs by the walls, the thick vines wrapped around his waist tightly.

The skin of my palms scraped, stinging badly. I know that if I keep pulling on these vines, my hands would bleed, but I can't leave Alby like this. I wrap the vines around my wrist and pull on it harder.

"Adelaide, faster!"

No shit Sherlock

I pull on harder and then grab onto another vines and begin climbing. Thomas is doing the same. Climbing comes easy to me but I am tired and in pain. I reach near the hanging Alby and grab the vines, trying to conceal him front he view.

Newt.

He climbed up too.

Did he went higher?

Or was he just where I am now?

His chocolate brown eyes flashes in front of me.His overgrown sandy blond hair, ruffled up in hair, sticking in all directions.

His soft lips grazing mine. His thumb brushing my lips.

"I did that because I had no hope, and moreover there was no one to stop me. I was dyin' from inside and no one saved me. No one even noticed."

"You are my lifeline, Addie. I'll be gone without you."

I have to do it.

I have to life.

I have to be alive.

Not for me. I don't just live for myself anymore.

I have to survive for him.

I look at Thomas, who is trying more veins around Alby, tying him securely.The Griever's whirring is closer than ever.

My bones feels cold.

No no. It felt frozen.

"Thomaswegottago." I whisper. "Thomasletsgo."

He quickly untangles himself and jumps off the walls, landing perfectly on his feet.

I close my eyes, readying myself.

I take a shuddering cold breath.

Did he feel like this too?