Are We Going Home Now?

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

ADELAIDE

Only eighteen people agreed to go with us, rest didn't. And after dinner, we all stand near the Walls, all packed up and armed. I have Chuck on one side and Teresa on other. Chuck had already taken out an arrow, all ready.

We finally stand, our hearts hammering, ready to go forward and not come back. Ever again.

"Shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho quizzes.

"Go ahead." Thomas says.

Minho takes a deep breath and stands in front, facing the group, with a somber look at each of our faces he speaks. "Be careful. Don't die."

I snort loudly, "You should stand for elections."

"Great, we're all bloody inspired." Newt sighs.

"You think you can do better?"

"Stand back peasant," Newt smugly pushes Minho back by his face and walks towards the front of the group, "Look at me do the best."

He takes a deep breath. "You know the plan. For the last two years, we've been treated as mice and now we finally take a stand. Tonight, we take the fight back to the bloody Creators, and they better start runnin'. Tonight, the Grivers better be scared."

The crowd roars, raising their weapons in the air. Newt thrusts his spear into the air, and yells, "Hear this Creators? WICKED? We're comin' for ya'!"

Newt turns and begins to run into the Maze, the crowd following him, roaring. I smile at Newt's leadership. That boy had done nothing but doubt his capabilities, and he is wrong. He can see that for himself.

"Chuck," the boy looks up at me, "Get ready for that birthday party."

We run in a comfortable place. Thomas and Minho lead the group. I, Chuck and Teresa stick together. The plan is Teresa and Chuck get to the Griver Hole first and quickly put the code where it is supposed to be, while the rest of us fight the Grivers. The plan for us was simple- aim for an injury or throw it over the Cliff, but not into the Griver Hole.

As we run, I strain to hear any incoming Griever call over the thumping and scruffling of shoes.

None.

"Can you hear the Grivers?" I ask Teresa. She concentrates for a moment before shaking her head.

Dread fills my stomach.

They are literally waiting for us.

As we reach the last corridor, a screech rings in the air, making us halt. Thomas, Minho and Newt quickly huddle together in a circle and I walk towards them, asking Chuck to stay near me.