Harrowing Memory

CHAPTER SIX

ADELAIDE

ADELAIDE

I go to the Deadheads to talk, after Jeff dismisses me. 

Today I had trials with the Med-jacks. I did like working with the Med-jacks but I know what I want my job to be. I've told that to Stan- who is also a Med-jack and he'd tried persuading me against it, saying it was utterly dangerous but he finally gave up when he realized that I wasn't backing up.

He told me that I had to keep myself in Minho's good books however. That would not be a problem, I already am in Minho's good books but the main problem is that he deliberately avoids the topic of me wanting to be a Runner whenever I ask him about it. Even Newt.

I look at the cloudless sky. It always gives me time of well needed solitude, letting me ponder upon my thoughts and ration my broken and incomplete memory.

I remember televisions, fireplaces, china dishes. I remember cinema halls, stores, shops, cars. I remember window shutters, hair salons, nail polishes. I remember the smell of fresh dandelion, and there were none in the Glade, I remember the smell of rain hitting the earth, but it didn't rain since I came. I remember the smell of new books; there were none here. I remember balloons, balls, bats and toys. I remember a cycle- a bright pink with blue streaks . I remember the smell of blood. I remember the hot coppery taste of blood.

I stay there for too long, sometimes watching the boys work like a clockwork, but also hearing faint yells and laughter but I zone out for the most of the time, dwelling on my possible mistakes that I made because of which, I was thrown into this Maze, lingering onto the sudden, indistinguishable flashbacks that I was having.

I had a dream of a blonde haired, middle aged woman, smiling at me, her lips thin and face, wrinkle free. I saw blue tubes. Needles. Knives. Blood. Swords. Blood. Pain. Blood. Guns. Blood. Pain. Blood. Pain.

"Adelaide, it's dinner time!" Stan yells at me from the bottom of the tree and I snap from my thoughts. I hadn't even noticed that it was already dark. The Maze Doors are still open, but the Runners were back for long time, now.

Newt and Stan are the only people who know where to find me and now. I climb down and follow Stan to the dining hall, talking all the way.

Newt had already sat on his table with Minho.

Newt smiles upon seeing me. His eyes looks even more chocolaty. The tips of his hair falling over his forehead are wet.

Maybe he'd washed up.

"How was your day with the Med-jacks?"Stan asks as we sit down with our dinner. We have roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables tonight.

"Fine. They are nice. But that's not what I want to do." Yesterday was my day with the Builders was kind of interesting. Gally said that he wouldn't let me have it easy just because I am a girl; and honestly I didn't even expect him to.