Griver-Hole And A Wave Of Guilt

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

ADELAIDE

I wince as Teresa pulls out the shards of glass from my bare back. I have hold a bed sheet against my front as we both are in our shared room.

"You really shouldn't have waited for so long to tell me. What if the glass went deeper?" Teresa mumbles. I bit my lip from loudly gasping in pain. Newt is waiting outside. He was really demanding to be with me all along but Teresa shooed him away, yelling about giving the us girls some privacy. Though I wanted Newt to be with me, I didn't want to upset Teresa.

"How many?" I ask.

"How many what?"

"How many are dead?"

"Don't know. I and Payton have been helping the injured all along, but the Baggers are really busy. They're saying that they'll have a proper burial for the ones they can find." I nod, grinding my teeth. My hands against my front tremble as I remember Stan's dead eyes burning a hole in my soul.

"I want to have a funeral for Stan." I mumble. "Did they find his body?"

Teresa falls silent for a moment. "No. No, they did not." she says softly. A tear slips down my eyes and I hastily wipe them away.

"When is the funeral?" I ask her.

"I guess, today, afternoon."

I nod. Body or not, Stan deserves a proper and rightful funeral and I'm gonna get him one. I'm his next of kin.

"Your boyfriend is pretty adamant on not leaving you." Teresa changes the topic, a hint of smirk on her voice.

 "Just like you want Thomas to be." I shoot back. I don't really want to talk about anything else. I just want to be left alone in my sorrows, at the same time, I'm grateful for the distraction.

Teresa's eyes widens as pink tints her cheek. She begins her feeble attempt deny. I laugh.

"How did you know?" she asks me. "Is it that obvious?"

"I've seen the glances you two love-birds throw each other. It's so sweet that it makes me sick." I say. Teresa rolls her eyes, and begins gathering her medical kit. "I have job to do, other than taking part in you stupid assumption of me and Tom falling in love."

"I said nothing about you two in love. Your words, not mine." I raise my hands, making a pathetic attempt to smile. It is just, smiling feels so wrong, right now.

"Whatever," Teresa grumbles. She opens the door as Newt nearly topples over her, not expecting her.

"That's a stupid way to eavesdrop." She glares at the boy, who is looking everywhere but her eyes. "I wasn't." He protests weakly. Teresa sighs.