Am I Making New Friends? Part-2

CHAPTER FIVE

ADELAIDE

ADELAIDE

After lunch, I sit in my room- or Newt's room to be exact, and ponder over the dream that I had today.

I want to go home.

Please wake up. Please wake up.

I am so sure that this was a nightmare, a terrible nightmare and I will have to wake up soon. This is too horrible to be true.

Tears blur my vision and I wrap my hands around me, trying to stop shivering.

Someone knocks on the door and I hastily wipe my tears away and compose myself. I look towards the door and find the sandy blond whose company I've liked the most.

"Are you up for a little gossip?" he smirks.

"Why? You have nothing else to do?"

"Nah!" he enters the room, "I plan to freeload my whole time. Wanna join the clique?"

I pat on the space beside me and he sits down, keeping a fair distance between us. Something I am grateful to him for. Something I realize that he understands and respects.

"Who are the other members?" I play along, grateful for him for the distraction.

"Eh.. me and you and maybe Stan."

"Just three?"

"It's a work in progress." I give a breathy chuckle.

"Newt?"

"Addie?" he copies me.

"What was it like for you for the first few days?"

Newt's smile disappears. He looks up and stares into space, a frown over his face. He looks back at me.

"Horrified..... would be a very plain word to what I was feeling. I couldn't remember my name until two days and those two days was the worst.

"I felt like I was a mistake, an error and was just floating around the Glade. Nick always says that work takes thing off the mind, but the only things that went through my mind for those two days were who was I and what have I done I receive this punishment."

"Its scary not know who you are and where you are and if you have a family or friends." I say. I was relieved that at least someone even remotely gets how I'm feeling. The others always expect me to get up and going as if nothing had happened. As if all of this is extremely normal.

"We try to shucking fill the gaps. We try to become the friends and the family you've missed. It kind of had happened so till now." Newt says, his gaze full of pity but I don't want his pity. I don't want anyone's pity.