A Messy Situation

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

ADELAIDE

"Really? For real?"

He nods. A huge smile breaks into my face. I jump towards Newt, hug him tightly, place a quick peck on his cheek before I'd even realized.

When I step back, Newt's face is a red as a tomato and I can definitely feel my cheeks get heated.

"Whhhaaatttt???" Minho wails, "When did that happen? You two didn't wait for me??"

Newt goes even more red as possible and glares daggers in Minho who chooses to remain oblivious.

I just literally want to murder myself.

What in the fucking hell was I thinking?

Oh, that's right, I wasn't.

Alby coughs before speaking. I notice his cheeks have a faint glint of pink in them too and his eyes full of amusement as they flicker between Newt and me.

How can I be so inconsiderate? I had just broken Stan's heart. I'm such a slut.

"Minho, complete what you have to say to her." Alby urges the boy.

"Okay, so from now, you are an official Runner." he announces grandly.

"You all are not pulling my leg, are you?" I say as I try to push the major problem behind my mind for the moment.

Minho rolls his eyes, "No shuck-face, we're just inviting you to join the Griever kitty-party."

"I would really love to meet you Griever girlfriend. Remember? Jennifer?" I shoot back.

Minho smirks, playing along. "I know she's great. Loves me so much."

"Yeah. Match made in heaven."

"Just like the one we have in our Glade" he shoots back, smirking at my widened eyes. 

"So....." Alby says, trying not to smile. 

Wait. Alby? Smile? Alby and smile in one sentence? Never thought to see use that.

"You're going to work as Runners for 4 days a week and as a Med-jack for two days. For the first month. Jeff was adamant on getting to work with you. The Cooks and some from the Builders also agreed. Said, you were a great Med-jack."

"So? When do I start?"

"Now." Alby says. "Minho'll train you."

"Don't expect me to go easy on you, my Ally-Dally. I don't care if you are the only shucking girl in here, I'm gonna work you out until you klunk your pants." Minho says.