Gathering Is Freaking Chaotic

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

ADELAIDE

I sit in the Council Hall, on one of the long benches for the rest of the Glade . I lean against Chuck, looking around as the boys scramble along to get seated. The Keepers are already seated on their chairs.

My eyes found Newt, who was already staring at me. When our eyes meet, he offers me a small smile. I smile back too, but I am already feeling suffocated.

I have to tell him about me, about the memories that I had just seen. But how can I tell him? He will surely hate me if he knows.

But I do have to tell him.

Gally is adamant on getting Thomas punished for stepping into the Maze, ignoring the fact that he saved our asses. This is the thing about Gally. He is too strict with the rules.

"In place of our leader sick in bed, I declare this Gathering begun." Newt says, with an annoyed expression. "As you know, the last few days have been bloody crazy and quite a bit seems centered around our new Greenbean, Tommy, here before us."

"He's not a Greenie anymore," Gally snaps. "He's just a rule breaker."

This starts off a tumbling of murmurs and whispers but Newt shushes them off.

"Gally," Newt says, "try to keep some buggin' order her. If you're gonna blabber your shuck mouth every time I say something, you can go ahead and bloody leave, because I'm not in a very cheerful mood."

And I know that it's true. He had used 'bloody' two times in a sentence. He's really not in the mood.

Thomas smiles faintly at Newt.

Gally folds his arms and leans back on his chair, his leg bouncing as he glares at Thomas.

"We need to decide what we have to do with Tommy here, because almost every lovin' kid in the Glade has come to me for the last two days either boo-hooing about Tommy or beggin' to take his bloody hand in marriage."

Gally leans forward to say something but Newt cuts him off harshly. Minho snickers slightly.

"One at a time, Gally," Newt says. "Don't tell that you've forgotten the rules." Gally huffs and Newt takes this as the consent to proceed.

"Tommy, no talking until we ask you to. Good that?"

Thomas nods timidly.

Newt leans back and points to Zart. "Zart the Fart, you start."

A few of us starts to snigger but shut our mouth when Newt shoots us a glare.

He's really moody today.

"Well," Zart glances around nervously. "I don't know, he did break the rules but he also showed us that the Grivers can be beaten and we can survive out there."