chapter 35

Unedited

Unedited.

Target: 240 votes.

Aarna:

"What!" Exclaiming, he stumbled back a little, making me release a mirthless laugh.

"Yes, I am a murderer. Though it wasn't an intentional one. I am still a murderer. So tell me, do you still want to be with me?" I asked him in a monotonous tone, preparing my heart to face yet another rejection.

He looked at me intently for a while but what he said had completely caught me off guard.

"Why won't I? Did these people here call you that? So what if you are one, it's all in the past. If these people here make you remind about that bitter thing, let's go from here. I swear, I won't let them make you feel like one. Let's go to our home."

Saying these words, he tried to pull me as I smiled lightly at him. Instead of standing up, I patted the space beside me, gesturing him to sit.

Releasing a sigh, he settled himself beside me and took my hand into his to apply the ointment as I was watching every change in his expression carefully. The concern, the care, the love, I can see all of them swirling in his eyes but do I actually deserve all of them?

"Is it okay to be selfish?" I asked as he looked at me for a quiet second before shifting back his attention to my hand. I averted my gaze from him to the blank sky.

"It's perfectly alright to be selfish. It's perfectly alright to wish for something, to dream of someone, to put our happiness before anyone's. We are no saints and we are bound to be selfish at some or another point in life." He said in a calm tone as his entire concentration was on my hand.

"Even after knowing that people are suffering because of our unintentional mistake?" This he kept the tube aside and fixed his gaze on me.

"You, yourself said that it was an unintentional mistake. So why punish ourselves for the thing whose happening was out of our power? Being living with the guilt itself is the biggest punishment. So what's the need to sacrifice even the little things which will keep us sane among all this turmoil?" He questioned me with a slight smile and wrapped his arm around my shoulders before pulling me close to him.

Leaning into his warm embrace, I decided to pour my heart and place all my past in front of him.

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl. She was loved by everyone, especially by her parents. They always put her first in front of their happiness. Life was so good and it became much better when that little girl came to know that she was going to became an elder sister. The whole family was ready to welcome the new member into their humble abode. Their happiness knew no bounds but it was all got snatched away within a blink of an eye.

"A little innocent mistake by that little girl costed the life of an innocent who didn't get a chance to take a breath on this earth. Her little mistake costed her sister to suffer all her life. Her little mistake made her mom succumb to the hell hole called depression. Her little mistake snatched the peace, happiness, joy..everything leaving all of them to become the victims of self-blame and self-loathing." I told him as if I was explaining a tale. His hold on me got tight and I sat there emotionlessly as all the memories of my childhood started playing in front of my eyes.