chapter 3

Dhruv:

Dhruv:

The day dawned crisp and clear. The just-risen sun shone softly on the city streets, bringing it a flurry of early-morning activities.

I was at the park for my morning run. The weather was cool and invigorating and the park was full of songbirds, walkers, and joggers, just like me.

Running was the best hour of my day. It was alone time that lets my brain unspool the predicaments that build up over days.

It would allow me to set my mind free. It would make me feel that nothing was impossible and nothing would last forever, not even pain.

I returned home after I was done with my morning run. Then, I went into my room and after freshening up, I got ready for my office by wearing a grey suit with a sky blue-colored shirt.

After collecting my laptop bag and the necessary files, I went downstairs and joined my family for breakfast. As mom served the breakfast to everyone, she started her usual ranting while munching onto her Dosa.

"Dhruv, even Arjun also got married. Why don't you move on from your past and get married at least for our sake?" She asked me in a sardonic tone as I looked at her while putting down the morsel that I was about to put into my mouth and sighed.

"Maa. We already had this discussion. It is not as simple as saying. So can you please just stop bringing that marriage topic daily?  I can't marry anyone. Not when I am sure of the fact that I can never give her place to anyone. I  just can't get married and spoil the happiness of an innocent girl just for all of your satisfaction." I seethed out while trying to control myself from not blurting out something hurtful.

Everyone was suggesting that I should move on and I was fed up with their suggestions already. I understood their concern and love for me.

But was it really so easy to move on and forget the one who we had vowed to spend the rest of our life? No..it was not.

"Okay," Much to my surprise, she agreed immediately.

Hearing her quick response, I looked at her skeptically to gauze her expression. Her face was neutral. If it was another time, she would have scolded me for saying these things but now she agreed to it immediately without creating the fuss, making me feel like something was surely fishy.

She would only behave like this when she was so sure that winning was on her side. She was a great strategist. Just like me, she would give the little taste of success to the opponent and in the next move, she would defeat them brutally.

That was why I was sensing some foul play here. Whatever, I could care less and if it was anything, I would just stay cautious enough to not fall for her tricks this time.