The Morning After

Lyra awoke from a dreamless sleep feeling warm and safe. She could feel the rise and fall of George's bare chest against her back, and the protection of one of his arms wrapped securely around her waist.

She smiled to herself, oh how she'd love to wake up like this every morning. The body next to her shifted and she felt his lips on her shoulder.

"Mmmm what are you thinking about?" He teased, the arm around her waist tightening and pulling her hips back into him.

She blushed, her eyes fluttering open, and looked up to him. "Good morning my love." She said her voice still full of sleep.

He kissed her. "Good morning beautiful."

She looked to her window a great deal of light seeping in. "What time is it?"

"At least noon if I had to guess." He said casually. Trying to comb his wild hair back and out of his face.

"How come you didn't wake me?"

"Well, you had quite the night. I figured you may need the rest." He teased again. "How are you feeling by the way? Still sore?"

"I'm fine." She said laying her head back down and closing her eyes.

George picked up her wounded hand, bringing it to his lips. "And what about this? How's this feeling?"

"I'll probably wash it again but besides that, it doesn't hurt that bad."

"Your sure I can't convince you to come with me?"

She sat up and kissed his cheek. "Not yet."

He grumbled, almost growled really. "I probably would have held off last night if I had known you weren't coming with me."

She looked at him worried now. "Why? You don't regret it do you?" But she didn't feel regret from him, if anything amusement.

He pulled her to him, kissing down her neck, his hands running down her sides, "Here I was thinking I was finally going to have you all to myself," he began between kisses, "and now you're telling me I've got to leave you here now knowing what I'll be missing?"

"You'll survive," she laughed untangling herself from him and standing. She held her arms above her stretching.

"Mmmm I don't know, I may have to make a couple of late-night visits."

Lyra tugged the cover sheet off of the end of the bed wrapping it around herself and walking over to her desk. "I probably ought to get a lock for my window then." She teased.

"What are you up to?" He asked sitting up and watching her curiously. She had grabbed a few scrolls, a quill, a book, and a bottle of ink from a drawer at her desk and now was turning towards her window.

"I'm going to write a couple of letters. I was sort of hoping you'd deliver them for me." She pulled the curtains back, filling the room with light, and swept the sheet up onto the sill with her.

"Depends who the letters are too." He teased, "and how serious you are about keeping your window locked."

"The letters are to Sirius, Viktor, and my Parents. I just want to make sure that they all know I'm okay."

George rolled out of bed and stretched himself. He retrieved a clean pair of boxers, that had been placed folded in a pile of his clean clothes at the end of her bed. She watched him warily as he approached her. "What's that look for?" He asked grinning.

She held her supplies tightly to her chest, "you look like you're up to no good."

He chuckled, reaching her now, and before she could protest he scooped her up off of the sill bridal style, sitting down on the sill himself and placing her in his lap. "You weren't paying enough attention to me."