The Gift

Lyra awoke early the next morning. Light barely breaking over the skyline. George still sleeping peacefully by her side. She smiled lovingly, gently leaning up and moving his hair from his face. He did not stir, still in a deep sleep. It was rare that she was up before him, and she decided to make the most of it while she could.

Quietly and slowly she crawled from the bed, scooping up his shirt from the night before, and a pair of her comfy shorts and slipping them on before creeping out into the hall and down into the kitchen.

It was a warm summer morning, the heat from the day not yet setting in. She opened the window in the kitchen before turning to the pantry and pulling out her ingredients. Flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, eggs, salt.

She mixed her dry ingredients, before adding an egg and then getting the milk from the fridge. As Lyra worked she hummed to herself. Mixing everything in a thick pancake batter.

She buttered her pan and let it heat up before pouring a scoop of batter into the pan.

"Someone's in a good mood this morning."

Lyra jumped, almost dropping her spatula. She whipped around to see Fred, leaning against the table smirking at her.

Lyra sighed in relief. "Jesus Weasley you scared the crap out of me. I thought you were your brother."

Fred raised his eyebrows. "And that would have been a bad thing?"

"Well if you wanted pancakes for breakfast yes." She said turning back to the stove.

"Why's that?"

"Wouldn't let me cook yesterday."

Fred chuckled leaning back on his stool. "Yeah, he's a bit of a worry wart."

She slid the finished pancake onto a plate and poured another scoop onto the pan. "I better work quick then. What time do you two have to be down at the shop?"

"We open at 9:00, so we'll need to be down by 8:00."

She looked to the clock. "Plenty of time then."

"Soooo you two have fun last night?"

This time she did drop the spatula. She turned around looking at him horrified. "W-what?"

Fred grinned. "your pancakes are gonna burn."

She didn't move. "You didn't.... You didn't hear us did you?"

His grin widened. "Why were you loud Stone?"

"Will you stop torturing her?" Came a sleepy voice from the door. They both turned to see George, in all of his morning glory leaning on the doorframe. He wore his boxers, and no shirt. His hair a fluffy mess of bed head.

Lyra abruptly grabbed her spatula from the floor, turning away from the two and walking over to the sink. She tried to remember how to breath as she scrubbed the utensil clean.

She felt someone behind her, and then a gently hand reach up and brush the hair off of her shoulder. George leaned in and kissed her neck. "He's only teasing Lyra. He didn't hear anything."

She turned back around peering around George and glaring at Fred. Pointing her spatula at him threateningly. "Weasley I swear to God if you ever scare me like that again!!!!"

"Yeah right Stone, whatcha gonna do? Throw a mug at me?"

"And I won't miss!"

George, chuckling, snatched the spatula from her and walked over to the stove. He flipped her pancake, saw that it was burt, and discarded it pouring a new scoop.