Getting to know the enemy

Lyra sat uncomfortably in a room surrounded by pink.  Kittens watched her from porcelain plates that hung on the walls. Professor Umbridge sat at her desk writing, she had not spoken to Lyra since she had let her in.

After what felt like an eternity, she finally placed her quill down and looked up at the girl. A sickly sweet smile on her face. "Now then, Mrs. Stone, let's get down to business shall we?"

 Lyra touched her wrist feeling Georges tie underneath. She smiled back, "Of course! Ready when you are Professor."

"Good,"  she opened her drawer and pulled out what looked to be a clipboard "I'm going to ask you some questions about your time here at Hogwarts and your classes, just answer them honestly alright dear?"

Lyra nodded. 

"Now you don't usually attend classes with the other students, and this is because of your abilities as an empath?" 

"Y-Yes."

"Do you attend special classes pertaining to your ability instead?" 

"Mmm not exactly. I started off doing the same work as my classmates, just on my own. At some point though, I got ahead in my academics. So I'm in higher-level classes now, it's still the same curriculum that would be taught in a normal class though. The only instance  I can think of, where I learned something to do with my powers is Professor Snape showed me how to brew drought of peace fairly early on." 

She made a couple of notes. "I see, and would you mind explaining dear, exactly why it is you don't attend the classes themselves?"

Lyra shifted uncomfortably, "well, I'm able to feel the people's emotions, most of the time even if I don't want too. It takes a considerable amount of energy to block them all out. So, attending classes would be like trying to learn in a room constantly full of noise, or trying to focus while constantly having to muffle it. Quite frankly, I'm not strong enough too."

She scribbled more down on her clipboard. "Why don't you just use drought of peace?" 

Lyra could feel her empty stomach twist painfully. She said she was going to ask about her classes, but she seemed to only be interested in Lyra's abilities. "Sometimes I do, for bigger events or when fear is among students is fairly high. But it's not good to use drought of peace for prolonged periods of time, or every day. To be honest it also drains me quite a bit too." 

"Can you tell what I'm feeling right now?" 

"No, but I could if I wanted too." 

Her eyes widened in surprise. "Really?"

Lyra faltered, "I-I mean I'm blocking it out, its a bit rude to know what your feeling without your permission...."

"But you could demonstrate if I asked?"

Lyra nodded. "Yes, but I'm not really supposed too..." she tried hoping her fear would appear as worry for getting in trouble.

Professor Umbridge placed her clipboard down and looked at Lyra with what she must have thought was a very warm reassuring look. "It's alright my dear, you won't get into any trouble, you can trust me."

Lyra sincerely doubted that. "A-alright. You're sure it's okay?"

"Yes go on dear," she said eagerly. 

Lyra let down her walls. she pushed out her bubble. She was not surprised to find that the professor was torn. She was full of a curious hunger for Lyra's powers to be strong, but also a desire want for her to fail. She feared the unknown. 

"You're curious, but also worried. If I had to guess it's about my ability." 

She looked at Lyra shocked, and Lyra could feel the worry grow. But the Professor soon recovered. That sickly sweet smile appearing on her face. "No, No I'm not worried, dear. I was curious about your ability though."

Lyra smiled back, her stomach twisting painfully. "Sorry about that professor, I try my best not to use my ability so I'm afraid it's not all that impressive."

"No, No that's quite alright dear. You did wonderfully. Tell me, can you sense when someone is Lying?"

"No," Lyra Lied "I can tell when they feel guilty, and that sometimes gives people away but not outright if they are lying." 

Her smile widened "I see." she made some more notes and then set her clipboard down again. "There's one more thing I'd like to address with you today."

"Yes?"

"I know that in the past year, you've been told a lot of things by adults that you are supposed to trust, and in such a venerable state last year I'm sure you were inclined to believe them. But I'm here to ease your and all other students fears that these things were a lie and if you hear anyone continuing to spread this lie, it is okay to confide in me about it."

"O-Oh, I see. Well, I don't actually remember most of the end of last year, but if I hear anything strange I'll be sure to let you know."

"Marvelous." she said cheerily "I had a feeling I could count on you, such a smart girl after all." 

Lyra shifted in her seat uncomfortably. "Um Professor Umbridge, before I go...."

"Yes, dear?"

"About my schoolwork, what should I be working on?"

"Oh yes!" she giggled "How silly of me, I was enjoying our little chat so much I almost forgot. Have the first four chapters read and the review questions answered by the end of the week. We'll be having a quiz next week."

"Alright, thank you." Lyra stood quickly grabbing her bag and starting for the door. "Have a good day Professor."

   She sat her hands laced together, that overly sweet fake smile plastered on her face. Like poisoned candy.  "You too dear." 

  Lyra quickly left.