The Talk

Lyra had gone to the Library, she worried if she hadn't and the boys went looking for her they'd start asking questions. Which was a bit silly all things considered since she definitely didn't fool them when she left them in the Quidditch pitch stands.

The good news was, no one but a couple of first years were there, and at the first sight of her, they cleared out. The bad news was, Lyra worked twice as fast when upset, and most of her work due for the coming week was already done. She finished the rest of her work, re-wrote an already finished essay, attempted to study a chapter she had already read through, and took notes on, before finally giving up.

She shoved the book away in frustration and rested her head face down on her arms. Her emotions swirled like a tornado, threatening to tear apart the carefully built walls that attempted to contain them.

There was the sound of a chair scraping across the floor loudly across from her, and she felt familiar eyes on her.

"Hey," He said softly.

She took a moment to gather her thoughts and prayed those walls would hold just a bit longer, before sitting up and looking at him.

"Hey."

"Come for a walk with me? To the owlery?"

"George," she sighed, griping for an excuse, "I've really got a ton of work to finish and-"

He slid a chocolate frog across the table. A peace offering. "No, you don't. Come on and take a walk with me."

His voice was so gentle and yet serious in a way that shook her to the core. "Fine." She said shakily.

They walked silently at first. The halls were mostly empty as most people were in the great hall eating dinner. Lyra was careful to keep space between them as they walked. Her arms wrapped tightly around herself.

"So what did you want to talk about?" She said coldly.

George sighed running his hands through his hair, he'd been doing that a lot lately. "Maybe we should wait until we get to the owlery-"

She stopped walking. "No." Her voice shook, her entire body shook.

George turned to her a bit startled he reached out "Lyra-" but she took a step back.

He felt out to her, tried to feel what she was feeling, but she shut him out. "If you've got something to say, then just say it, George."

His eyebrows furrowed together, and he began to worry that she thought this talk was going in a different direction. "Lyra, whatever your thinking, I think you've got the wrong idea. So just take a deep breath and relax for a minute."

"Don't say that." She said, her throat tight. "I feel it George, your unhappy. You're unhappy here, and you're unhappy with me. Why else would you try to hide it?!" Her panic gripped her. The thoughts that had been trying to hold back for weeks all came crashing down. She was weeping now. "And do you want to know what the worst part is? I'm so stupidly in love with you I want you to go, because I can't bare to think I'm the thing holding you back-"

He reached for her again but she pulled away. "Lyra Stop." His voice was stern and the seriousness behind it froze her. He continued forward, closing the space between them and pulling her into a hug. Her walls began to crack.

"G-George-"

"That's enough. Just, Just wait a moment and listen." He said, his own tone soft now and hushed. "Lyra I love you. I love you so much that I can't imagine a world where I'd be with anyone but you and I'm so sorry. I'm sorry it took me so long to see that I was making you hurt like this. Making you worry, that I was just going to up and leave you."

"But your so unhappy here, I can feel it, I can feel how badly you need to leave, this isn't where you're meant to be anymore." She wept into his chest. Her pain was overwhelming but he held her just the same.

George stroked her hair. "I didn't say anything because I wasn't ready to admit it to myself... Because anytime I thought of leaving, daydreamed of it. You were with me Lyra." His voice was so quiet she doubted if anyone had been in the hall with them, they would have been able to hear it. "I think a part of me knew that I couldn't ask you to leave, and that's why I never said anything. To be honest, I didn't even realize until Lee called me out on it."

"S-so what happens now?" She whispered into him. Calming a bit now, but her fear still there. He looked down at her for a moment before scooping her up. She cried out in alarm but was too emotionally exhausted to object beyond that. He walked over to the window sill and sat with Lyra in his lap.

"What I do know is we aren't going to break up even if I do leave you hear me?"

"But what if you meet someone else?"

"I won't." He said so sure of it. "There's only you."

"That might change as time goes on." She said softly.

"It won't."

"How on earth can you be so sure?"

He shrugged, a smile almost touching his lips. "You've just got to trust me on this one, okay?"

Lyra let a shaky breath out and held onto him tightly. "Okay." She hesitated a moment before pushing on. "When do you think you two will leave?"

"Dunno." He said honestly, "But you'll be apart of every decision okay? I won't just up and leave you I promise."

"Okay." Lyra sniffled, but she and George were both already feeling much better. It was so clear now how off things had really been the past couple of weeks now that they were in sync again, and even though it was sad to think about, it was also like a weight had been lifted.

"You know," George said, his tone back to its normal never quite serious default, "if your really that worried about me running off you could marry me."

"Why so you can tell everyone I'm your ball and chain? Or weasel out of doing things by blaming it on the wife back home?"

He perked up, "you know I hadn't even thought of that but now that you mention it-"

Lyra poked him in the sides causing him to squirm, he retaliated by letting her slip and almost fall out of his lap. "GEORGE." she yelled panicked and clung to him desperately, "Don't do that!"

He chuckled and readjusted her. "Sorry love, but you did start it."

She glared at him, and began to squirm trying to escape his grip, but found it futile and soon settled back down. "Don't do that or I won't let you pick me up."

"I think it's adorable you thought you had a say."

"Of course I have a say!"

"You have to be over five feet tall to have a say."

"I am over five feet." She mumbled her face beat red.

"Sure you are love. Hey, did you want to come back to the Gryffindor common room with me? I bet Fred's really worried about how your feeling."

She looked at him skeptically.

"Don't look at me like that. You just don't know him like I do."

"Listen, if you want me to come with you I will, no need for the lame excuses."

"You, my love, have no right to say anything about lame excuses. Mrs. "I've got a last-minute essay to write." Yeah right, you've never been last minute in your life."

She grinned "oh shut it, Weasley."