The Letters and The Lessons

As the weekend ended and a new week began, Lyra was glad to see that Fred had kept his word about not telling George. The pressure of taking her N.E.W.T.'s at the end of this year combined with the fact she was starting her defense lessons with Professor Snape this week, she had enough on her plate.

She felt something pelt her in the face and she looked up to see Fred ripping off another chunk of bread to throw at her.

"Earth to Stone."

"S-Sorry, I spaced out what did you say?"

"I asked if you were coming to our practice again tonight."

"No, I can't I've got potion lessons with Professor Snape."

He raised his eyebrows, "Like, those lessons?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, those lessons."

"Well, that explains why you've been so jumpy today," George said filling his plate again.

she blushed, "sorry, I didn't mean to worry you."

"Cut that out. It's my job to worry about you."

"Right," Fred added "That way he doesn't have to care about anyone else. "

"Exactly."

"Haha," she retorted back, "Kid all you want, I know deep down you two have hearts of gold."

"Speaking of gold, We need to borrow your owl."

"Why?"

"Just stuff for the joke shop." He answered vaguely. "We're thinking of putting the puking pustils on the market soon."

"Right, well, unfortunately, you'll have to wait if you want to use mine, why not just use the schools?"

George leaned in, "Because the channels of communication are unsafe."

she snorted "Using my owl isn't going to make them any safer, if anything it'll be less safe because they'll know to look for that one."

"You've got a point there Stone."

"Where's your owl anyway?" George asked curiously.

"I wrote to our friend in London, and to Victor too. Though I sent a school owl to deliver Victors, bit unfair to send him that far while having to go all the way to London too."

"What did you write them about?" he asked, and she could feel that he asked out of a place of curiosity and not jealousy.

"Well, I wrote about you two, and about school, and I checked in on how they were doing."

"You gossiping about us Stone?" Fred teased.

"Always Weasley, not like you make it hard."

He feigned a look of outrage "How dare you, George, you really must get a handle on this one."

"I don't know," he joked back "I kinda like her when she's full of it."

Their joking was interrupted by a shadow looming by them. Lyra looked up as Professor Snape swept by and their gaze locked. He glared impatiently, but besides that made no move to stop or say anything. Once he was out of the great hall Lyra sighed.

"Well, that's my cue."

George scowled at the door, "You sure you'll be okay?"

"Oh yeah, believe it or not, Professor Snape used to really like me before I started hanging around with you lot."

Fred looked at her disgusted "Well then we did you a favor, the only people Snape likes are slimy Slytherin like him."

"No," she corrected "He likes Smart students who keep their mouths shut too. Though I do think he did use to wish I was in his house. I bet he felt a bit betrayed when I started hanging around with Griffendores."