A Sick Lyra Stone

Lyra did not wake up when George left her bedroom that morning. She didn't wake up for breakfast or soon after either. The boys managed to get ready and pack their things and were surprised to come back out ready to go and her still not be up.

"She's probably just tired from yesterday," George said as he, Fred, and Lyra's mother Amelia headed up the stairs to her room.

Amelia knocked twice on the door before entering. "Lyra it's time to get up dear." Her mother said walking over to her bed and pulling back the covers.

Lyra groaned flinching away from the dim light in the room and twisting away from her mother. Her face was puffy and red, her nose pink and runny.

George came closer concern growing in him. "Everything okay?" He asked she usually got up when someone woke her.

Amelia reached out to Lyra placing the back of her hand on her daughter's forehead and clicked her tongue disapprovingly. "She's got a fever. Lyra you not feeling well?"

"No. Can you please turn off that light?" Lyra said in a raspy voice.

Fred clicked the light off, George was on her bedside now, reaching his own hand out. Her face was blazing hot to the touch. She leaned into him.

Amelia pulled the covers back up and around her daughter before standing up and looking at the boys. "I'm sorry boys, it looks like you'll have to go back without her."

"She okay?" Fred asked concerned.

"Yes, she'll be fine. With everything that's happened since the end of term, she's probably just pushed herself a bit too much. This used to happen all the time when she was little."

"Can I stay?" George asked hopefully.

Amelia smiled lovingly at the boy. "I don't see how I have the right to stop you." 

He looked at Fred, "You heading back?"

"Yeah, Probably. Mum will be worried if neither of us shows up. I may come back if I get bored though." 

"Give her my love." 

Fred rolled his eyes, "She'd probably throw a fit if you stayed for any other reason, But I think your safe since Lyra's sick."

"We'll be lucky if she doesn't show up to take care of Lyra herself," George chuckled. 

Amelia looked at her watch. "If your okay to stay and keep an eye on her George, I'll probably head into the office, Walters at the university until this evening. There's chicken noodle soup in the cupboard."

He grinned, "Sounds good, I can hold the fort down until then."

George went downstairs to say his goodbyes to Fred and help Amelia gather things for Lyra. She grabbed blankets, a clothe for Lyras head, and some cold medicine. She also showed him where the soup was. He picked up the canned item looking at it perplexed

"Have you made soup before?" Amelia asked seeing his confusion.

"No, but I'm sure I'll figure it out."

She looked at him doubtfully, then opened a drawer and pulled out a strange metal tool. "You open the can with this," She showed him how to fasten the can opener to the side of the can and had him try it himself. She then grabbed a pot from the bottom cupboard placing it on the stove. "Then you dump the soup into the pot and heat it here on medium heat. There are also directions on the side of the can if you forget, and my numbers tacked up by the home phone if you have questions."

George nodded in understanding. "No problem I've got this!"

She smiled, "Alright, as long as your sure. Oh, wait! Before I go!" She went over to Walters makeshift office tucked on the wall of the kitchen and grabbed a bag handing it to George.