The Trouble With Fudge

Lyra Hit the floor with a thud, and slid several feet back. Her eyes screwed up from the impact, she tried to groan but had no breath.

"Again Stone!" Came Professor Snape's stern tone. "You'd be useless in a battle if it took you this long to get up. Nevermind your miserable attempt to block the spell."

She began to rise. Tears pricking her eyes and still trying to catch her breath. "I don't think this is working Proffesor." She said weakly.

He glared at her with such venom she almost fell over again. "Perhaps you should give up then and go running back to your Gryffindor friends." His lips twisted into a cruel sneer "let's see how far you get with those red headed fools as your protectors."

"N-No!" Lyra stuttered, but her tone was firm. She looked him in the eyes. "I don't want to give up. I, I can do this I just-"

"If you can do this then show me." He growled. "Do you think I enjoy wasting my evenings teaching a student who can't even give me her full attention?!"

Lyra closed her mouth into a firm line. She straighten her stance and hardened her gaze. He continued to glare at her, and for some reason something George had said to her came to mind.

"What about old Snivellus? You ever see anything scary poking around his head?"

Why was she thinking of that right now? He narrowed his eyes at her in disgust. Clearly he had seen the memory too. She could feel his rage and contempt. Lyra grabbed onto it, absorbed it. She felt her heart begin to race and her blood boil as she let it consume her.

She didn't try to follow it. She knew if she began to try to poke around in his head he would feel her, and swiftly (and not so gently) cast her out. So she consumed what she could feel and made it her own.

He narrowed his eyes at her. The change in her immediate. "Good." He growled "That's much better. Using my own emotions to block me out." 

'Let's see how long you can keep it up for though.'

He sprung into action again, throwing an Impedimenta jinx at Lyra without warning. But she was ready this time. Blocking it and quickly throwing a disarming charm, Expelliarmus, back.

The proffesor blocked it easily and although he could still see her attacks coming, he noted that it was more to do with her body language then with the fact he could see into her mind. She was finally beginning to keep him out.

She blocked six more attacks before she finally faltered from exhaustion. A disarming spell sending her flying back again and falling to her knees.

"That will be enough for today." He said as she began to get to her feet again and she was surprised at how calm he was now. "Would you like me to dress your wounds before you leave or do you plan to do them yourself?"

She ignored his taunting tone. "No it will be good practice for me. I'll take care of them myself."

"Very well. You may leave then, I'll put the classroom back to order. For homework this week I want you to focus on trying to get into others minds. Practice on one of your friends. They won't make it to hard."

Lyra nodded, and began to grab her things. She tried to ignore how much her body ached. "Thank you Professor, have a good night."

She quickly exited the classroom, despite her body already protesting in her moving so quickly.

The weather was still storming out, and she wondered how George, Fred, Harry, and Ron were holding up in the rain.

A long loud whistle pulled her from her thoughts. Her gaze snapped away from the windows and towards two red headed boys.