a Bit of Courage

Lyra had slept in the following morning, missing breakfast and having to head straight to the library when she awoke. She was a bit bummed that she didn't get to eat with George and Fred, but knowing George he would have probably been happy that she'd caught up on her sleep. It may have also been a good thing, for the sheer terror that was rolling off of her.

Lyra had her meeting with Professor Umbridge today, and she was dreading it. As the time ticked closer her worry about the meeting grew. She knew she needed to be brave and confident. She knew she needed to be able to lie to protect her friends. If she could get on the professor's good side, they'd all be better off for it.

It was through this desperation that Lyra thought up an idea. As the time got closer to her meeting. She packed her things and set off to look for George.

She instead found Fred and Lee walking to the great hall for lunch. "Fred, Lee!" She yelled running up to them.

They both turned at the sound of there names and stopped once they had spotted her.

"Good afternoon Stone, " Fred said, "and where have you been hiding all morning?"

"I slept in and had to skip breakfast." She said breathlessly.

"Really, are you sure you we-"

She held her hand up "no time, I'll fill you in on all the details later. Where's your brother?"

"Im holding you to that stone. He went back to the room, forgot some of his books. Though I suppose he's on his way here by now."

"Thanks!" She said quickly before running off towards Gryffindor tower. He was just exiting the portrait hole when she arrived.

"Lyra?" He asked with a smile " where's the fire? Miss me that much since last night?"

She waved him away trying to catch her breath. "I need- a favor."

His smile wavered but he sensed no fear on her, nervousness but not fear. "Okay, but it'll cost you."

She rolled her eyes and quickly took his hand pulling him down the corridor until she found an empty classroom. It was dusty and looked like it hadn't been used in years. She pulled him in and turned to face him. "I have a meeting with Umbridge soon."

"Oh, Thats right. Do you want me to stand by?"

"No no, I have to do it on my own... But..." Her face turned a very dark shade of red, and he felt her nervousness grow.

She must be really worried about this meeting he thought, stepping closer. "Hey, Lyra it's okay."

"Could I try something?" She asked, not meeting his eyes.

"Whatever you need."

She closed the space between them and gently grabbed the front of his robes, pulling his face down to hers and kissing him.

George froze for a minute, completely shocked. He did not think this is where the conversation was leading.

Lyra went to pull away, sensing his hesitation, but he quickly pulled her back, scooping her up and returning her kiss passionately. He walked her over to one of the desks and placed her on top of it. Like always it was like a match struck against sandpaper. Like sparks hitting gunpowder. She tried to take him all in, the taste of his breath, the beating of his heart, the bliss and lust and love that surged through him for her. The way her skin pricked and tingled even at his slightest touch. Their emotions and sensations blurred into one another in a colorful confusion in which she no longer felt hers or his, but theirs as one.