Something up with Lyra

Lyra really didn't want to go to her class with Proffesor Snape. Her hand still stung from the several nights of detention and she was emotionally drained from avoiding George.

Proffesor Snape noticed that something was up immediately.

"You're late." He growled.

Lyra flinched and didn't look up from the floor, "Sorry sir."

She dropped her bag down on the floor and pulled off her sweater. Proffesor Snape didn't rise from his desk. He waited until she finally looked up at him.

"Take a seat Miss Stone," He said and gestured to the chair across from him.

Lyra's stomach dropped. In trouble again? She thought horrified as she walked over and sat down.

Snape turned back to his grading. "What seems to be the problem?" He asked not looking up from his papers.

She almost fell off her seat. "U-um what do you-"

He stopped writing and glared up at her. "Do you mistake me for an imbecile Miss Stone?"

She gulped. "N-No of course not."

"Then don't play dumb. Clearly, something is bothering you, and you're no use to me like this."

Lyra shifted in her seat. "Do you have anything that can help heal a magic inflicted cut?" She asked quietly.

Snape stared at her for a moment. "Been dueling other students?"

"No."

"Mmmm but you won't go to madame Pomphrey about it. Let me see it."

Lyra hesitated.

"How do you expect me to heal it if I can't see it?" He sighed exasperated.

She rolled up her sleeve and put out her hand to him. Not looking up at him.

He grabbed it, turning it this way and that. Then let go. "Did you do that to yourself?"

"No. Umbridge made me do lines with an enchanted Quill. It uses blood for ink."

He stared at her for a moment. Not showing any emotion. "Why the need to heal it quickly? It doesn't look particularly serious."

"I don't want my friends to know about it... I've been avoiding George all week because of it."

"Ah yes. Probably best to not tell that hot-headed Weasley. Wouldn't want him to go losing his temper again. He'll only end up throwing you back in detention." Snape sneered. But Lyra could tell he was trying to get a rise. She didn't respond to it.

"Do you know of anything to help it heal faster?"

"No." He said "It looks like it's meant to scar. Clearly, she wants it to stay there."

Lyra sighed "I was afraid you'd say that."

Professor Snape stood and walked over to his supply closet. He came back with a bowl of murlap essence. It wouldn't get rid of the marks, but maybe it would help with the pain she took it gratefully.

".... Are you going to tell the Headmaster?"

"Do you think it will make a difference?" Snape asked observing her.

"No. I don't. I find it hard to believe he doesn't already know."

He didn't answer.

"...could, could I ask you something else? Something I'm not supposed to ask?"

"Just spit it out Stone."

But Lyra took a moment trying to form the right words. "She got off on it. Professor Umbridge, I mean. When I've witnessed most people inflict pain, they get a high from it, but I can also feel their other emotions underneath... But her, she just felt pure joy. There was no anger, or sadness, just joy..."