January at Hogwarts

In a weird way, it was nice to be back at Hogwarts. Lyra didn't think she'd feel that way, with everything that had been happening but besides the horrible pink tyrant, things seemed to find some kind of normal. 

It wasn't until halfway through January that George seemed to notice Lyra hadn't been going to her lessons with Snape. They were sprawled out in an abandoned classroom with a combination of products from the joke shop and Lyras classwork laid out haphazardly around them. 

"Hey wait a minute." George said causing both Lyra and Fred to look up, "It's Tuesday. You've got extra lessons with Snape on Tuesday's don't you?"

Fred and Lyra shared a smirk. "Did you just notice this now?" She asked amused. 

"Yeah," he said and then paused for a second, "Wait what do you mean?"

"George I haven't been going to my lessons with Professor Snape since the beginning of the new term."

"Really? How come?" 

She turned back to her scroll "He canceled them, he's teaching Harry Occlemency now. I suppose it would be too much to teach us both."

George sat up now, "Well that's bull, why should you have to stop learning just because Harry needs lessons? You were first."

"It's more important Harry learns, I suspect Dumbledore hopes learning Occlemency will help Harry with his strange dreams. If he's successful it could help him to keep you know who out."

George's eyebrows knitted together in frustration, and she knew he wanted to say "what about your strange dreams?" She was glad he didn't. He seemed to sense that pushing the subject would upset her, so he let it go for now.

There was another thing that went unspoken between the two. Lyra had this growing awareness of a great shift in George as time went on. He seemed to become more restless, and although he did his best to hide it from her, unhappy. It hurt her to know he felt that way, more so because he seemed determined to hide it, making it difficult to know if it was just because of everything happening around them... or because of something more.  

"Earth to Lyra," George said waving his hand in front of her face. 

She jumped and quickly banished such thoughts from her head. "Oh, hey George, sorry I must have spaced out," she said forcing a smile onto her lips.

He slid into the seat next to her, "No worries... you okay though? You looked like you were about to cry."

"Hm? Oh no, just tired is all." 

She knew he didn't believe her, but he didn't push it. That was how they were as of late, too afraid that opening one can of worms, would open all of them. "Well Listen, there's a Hogsmeade trip coming up soon... it's on Valentine's day, and I was wondering if you'd like to go on a date?"

She felt her heart race at the word and her cheeks flush. "A date?"

"Yeah," he said warmly, "It's been a while since we went on a real date, so I thought it would be nice."

she was about to respond when Lee came crashing down into the seat across from them, shoving a disheveled first year out of the way. He threw a daily profit down onto the table. "Have you two seen this yet?"

Lyra's breath hitched as she scanned the headline. She stood. 

George who had been in the process of picking up the paper froze. "Lyra, you okay?"

She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, "I've got to run."

He went beat red, "What about-"