Awakening

Lyra's sleep was restless. Despite George's best efforts to keep her comfortable as her injurys healed she tossed and turned relentlessly. Unable to escape the images that plagued her dreams and unable to wake.

Sometimes she spoke. Most of it he couldn't make out, but every once and awhile a word or two would break through. Usually it was her calling out to someone. To him, Alister, which he thought must have been Mad Eye, or Sirius. Every time she whimpered his name it pierced George straight through the heart. Was she reliving his death? Was she stuck in the memory, unable to escape the fight? Unable to leave him behind? He couldn't bare it.

He was sitting in a chair at her bedside looking over some paperwork for the shop, when she once again began to stir. George didn't look up though, figuring she would settle again as she always did. It wasn't until she was sprang out of the bed, crashing into the nightstand did he realize she was stirring because she was awake.

George jumped to his feet in alarm, as Lyra scrambled to her own feet. "Lyra!" He said shocked and went to move towards her, but when she looked up in his direction it stopped him in his track.

Lyra's usually pale blue eyes looked colorless like glass in the light of his wand. They were wide, wild and full of fear. She was patting down her sides, looking for her wand, backing away from him slowly.

George put out his wand and quickly tucked it. Holding his hands up in caution. "Lyra, it's okay, it's me George-"

"Bellatrix, and Harry-"

George took a step towards her, and she scrambled back. "Lyra it's me, It's George. Your safe now it's okay love."

She stepped away from him once more shaking her head. But her eyes were beginning to adjust to the light of the room now. "N-No I was at the Ministry. We were fighting the Death eaters and Bellatrix-"

"That was days ago Love-"

"No!" She yelled and he was nearly knocked back by the wave of her terror.

"Listen, Christmas we went to your parents," he spoke quickly his breath coming out in a rush, "Fred found your experiments with the love potion. You were to embarrassed to show us because when you smelled the love potion it smelled like Rain, brewing the forgetfulness potion, and my bed sheets." He took a step closer to her and she didn't move away, "Nobody else knows that but Fred and I."

She hesitated, squinting through the darkness now, trying to see him. "Ge-George?"

He took a few more steps closer, almost enough to grab her. "It's me."

She wobbled, and he lunged, catching her as she began to fall. To his suprise she recoiled away from him. "N-No don't touch me I don't want you to feel this." She wept.

He pulled her close to him once more. "It's okay Lyra."

And she could feel herself unraveling, as he wrapped himself around her and held her to his chest. She fought it trying desperately to keep a wall between her memories and him. Even if it was a crumbling one.

George sighed and buried his face into her hair, hiding his wet eyes, "You've been crying out in your sleep for days. It's been torture. Not being able to feel or understand."

"You don't want to understand this." She cried, her last bit of resistance cracking.

"If it were me, what would you want?"

"T-to make it better." She admitted, and he knew she wouldn't resist. He slid his hand under the back of her shirt, placing his hand against the small of her back. The warmth of her skin burned against his cool hand, but he barely noticed. Her sorrow, her fear drowning everything else out. Flashes of Bellatrix, then of the battle, Mad eye and others hurt, then of Sirius. He let his hand drop and opened his eyes.