The Ministry of Magic

There was one good thing about the flight from Hogwarts, to the ministry. Lyra was far to terrified about being miles and miles in the air on a creature she could not see, to worry about if Sirius was alive or not.

Neville, a good friend as always had sensed her terror, and let her ride with him instead of alone. She clung to his back. Face buried into his robes, praying to feel the ground beneath her once more.

"Look Lyra we're almost there, I can see the city lights from here!"

"I'll take your word for it." She groaned, "god and I thought riding a broom with George was bad."

"Oh I don't know, it's not that bad," Neville said, and Lyra resisted the urge to point out the fact he could SEE the beast underneath them, while she could not.

"Just tell me when we're on the ground."

About fifteen minutes later Neville was helping her down from the Theastrel. Her legs shook as she put weight on them, and she had to concentrate on not collapsing. Neville seemed to be quite shaken too, and she wondered if he had tried to seem like he didn't mind when they were flying to make her feel better.

She reached out, touching his arm, and calmed him. "How did you-_

"Let's talk about it later." She whispered.

""Where do we go from here, then?" Luna asked Harry as if they were here on a field trip instead of a rescue mission.

"Over here," he answered gesturing to an old phone box. Lyra looked skeptically. "Come on!"

They followed him, all squishing into the much too small space. It was quite difficult to get the phone working as there wasn't enough room, but after a couple of minutes of answering questions and arguing with the enchanted voice, they were moving.

When the phonebooth finally stopped, and let them out, it was into a huge space, full of Fireplaces, and a giant fountain. Lyra was a bit taken aback because it was completely empty. This was the ministry of magic, wasn't it? Did they just leave it unguarded? Where were all the people? Lyra shared a look with Ginny and Neville and they took their wands out.

Harry lead them to a golden gated elevator, and they all clambered in. It was so quiet Lyra could hear her own pulse. None of this was right, and an even more unsettling it felt somehow familiar to her.

When the elevator finally stopped and the grate slowly slid open she realized why. An all too familiar hallway came into view, just as clear as it had been in the night of her dream. She hesitated as everyone else followed harry out of the elevator. Thinking back to that night. The Snake, Harry, The Stranger...Maybe she should have asked more questions before blindly following Harry here.

Someone grabbed her hand, and she turned to see it was Neville. He gave her a faint smile. "Stronger together right?"

She tried her best to smile back. "R-Right."

They began to follow the group, Harry stopping again when they reached a familiar black door.

"Okay, listen, Maybe . . . maybe a couple of people should stay here as a - as a lookout, and -"

Not this again, Lyra thought.

"And how're we going to let you know something's coming?" asked Ginny, not quite being able to keep the irritation out of her voice. "You could be miles away."

"We're coming with you, Harry," Neville said, still holding tightly to Lyra's hand.

"Let's get on with it," Ron said.

Harry gave in with a sigh and turned back to the door. It swung open for him easily. The next room they entered was unknown to Lyra. She hadn't made it this far in her dream. It was a large circular room with ominous black doors encircling it. The blue flames of the torch were barely enough to see by.