53

Mallory felt uneasy as she walked through Lafeyette Cemetery with Elijah and Klaus, leading the way. She could tell Klaus was suspicious and she knew there were only two ways Klaus would react to what she was about to tell him.

"What are we doing here?" Klaus asked his brother and Mallory in an annoyed tone.

"You want to know what the witches have in store for you?" Elijah asked his brother curiously, "Follow me."

The trio of vampires stepped into one of the mausoleums, finding Sophie Deveraux standing there. "Sophie Deveraux," Klaus greeted the woman in an unhappy tone, "What is this?"

"He's all yours," Mallory told the female witch in a calm tone, gesturing to Klaus, "So go on."

Sophie stared up at Klaus for a long moment, tears in her eyes. She had clearly been crying. "You know you're famous in this town?" She told Klaus in a calm tone, "Witches tell bedtime stories about the powerful vampire Klaus. We know Marcel was nothing but an orphan street rat, until you made him what he is. And now he's out of control. He does what he wants, he kills who he wants. I'm gonna stop him, and you're gonna help me."

Hearing the woman's words, Klaus began to smile in utter amusement. He slowly turned to Mallory, raising a brow at her. "This is why you brought me here?" He asked, an amused look on his face.

"Just hear her out," Elijah demanded as Mallory raised her hands in mock surrender.

"I don't need to hear her out. I assure you, love, there is not a thing on this earth that will matter enough for me to waste even thirty more seconds of my time," He complained in an aggravated tone, "Mallory, love, what madness is this?"

"Klaus," A voice suddenly called out, causing Klaus and Mallory to turn to see Hayley entering the mausoleum, "You need to listen to them."

Mallory slowly turned to look at Klaus, smirking in satisfaction when she watched Klaus' face fall the moment his eyes fell upon Hayley.

After a moment, he began to laugh, causing Mallory to roll her eyes at him. "You're all out of your minds if you think some liquor-fueled, one-night stand," He paused, turning to look at Hayley, "no offense, sweetheart...means a thing to me."

"Marcel may be able to keep us from practicing real magic in this town, but as keepers of the balance we still know when nature has cooked up something new," She explained to Klaus, who smiled at her in amusement, "For example, I have a special gift...of sensing when a girl is pregnant."

The moment he heard Sophie's words, Klaus' smile faded, realizing what she was getting at. "What?" He asked, his eyes widening in disbelief.

"I know it's impossible..." Hayley trailed off, an uneasy look on her face.

"What are you saying?" Klaus asked Hayley in a low tone as he turned to face her.

"Klaus..." Mallory trailed off as she began to smile slightly, "The girl is carrying your child."

"No. It's impossible," Klaus argued, frantically shaking his head as he tried to fight through the tears, "Vampires cannot procreate."

"But werewolves can," Sophie reminded him as Klaus sighed in frustration, "Magic made you a vampire, but you were born a werewolf. You're the Original hybrid, the first of your kind, and this pregnancy is one of nature's loopholes."

Klaus found himself freezing in place for a moment, trying to come to terms with what she was saying.

Unable to control himself, his expression became consumed with anger as he whipped himself to face Hayley. "You've been with someone else. Admit it!" He growled angrily as he moved toward Hayley, pointing an accusing finger at her.