46

"We're gonna lose her, Damon," Stefan had complained as he walked into the parlor with his elder brother and Mallory.

"She needs time. It's only been a couple of days," Damon argued, not seeing it as a big deal.

"Her humanity is off," Stefan pointed out to the duo, "She's basically numb to everything that makes her who she is."

"She's a vampire," Damon complained, an annoyed look on his face as he poured himself a cup of bourbon, "The off switch is one of the biggest perks when being undead gets you down, voila. Vampire prozac."

"She burned down her family home with her brother's dead body still inside," Stefan argued, taking a step toward Damon.

"And?" Mallory suddenly asked, letting out a large scoff, "It saves us the trouble of having to do it ourselves. I call that a win."

"Worst-case scenario, I'll invoke the sire bond and tell her to turn it back on," Damon spoke up in a calm tone.

"No. Her brother died," Stefan reminded him, sounding annoyed, "You force all that grief on her at once, it's gonna overwhelm her. We need to give her a reason to want to turn it on."

"Fine," Damon decided as he shrugged his shoulders, "We'll show her a good time," He suggested and Stefan rolled his eyes, "I know it's controversial, Stefan, but people actually like to have fun."

"You really that that's gonna work?" Stefan questioned, giving Damon an unamused look.

"There's only one way to find out," Damon replied calmly.

"It's not gonna work," Mallory spoke up, shaking her head before she walked away.

____

At a truck stop, Hayley walked through, an anxious look on her face. She fearfully glanced around, only to become alarmed as she laid eyes on a vampire speeding toward her.

He grabbed her by the throat, just before pinning her against the truck. She coughed and gasped, struggling to breathe. He threw her to the ground after a few seconds, causing her to cry out.

He was on the verge of attacking her again, only to have Klaus suddenly speed over to him and grab him by the neck. "Have a care, mate," He growled, his hybrid eyes appearing, "That's no way to treat a lady."

Klaus sneered, just before biting him with his hybrid fangs. He then threw him off to the side before looking down at Hayley, tilting his head to the side.

"You came," Hayley stated, an impressed look on her face.

"Well, you did say it was urgent," Klaus pointed out as he shrugged his shoulders. He smiled, grabbing Hayley by the hand before he helped her up. Just then, the vampire sped off, but Klaus didn't seem all that bothered, "Oh, don't worry about him, love. He'll never make it through tomorrow night."

"What if there are more?" Hayley asked, a nervous look on her face.

"You were foolish enough to make a deal with Mallory Montague, a woman who already hated you and had more connections in the supernatural world than you might have thought. She used you to find another one of the five and to get in touch with Katherina Petrova. Now, you're nothing but a loose end. You'll be lucky if either of them let you live," Klaus explained to her in a calm tone, a smirk forming on her lips.

_____

"So that's the plan?" Damon asked Stefan as he stood with his brother and Mallory in a room, "You're gonna take her back to school?"