20

Meanwhile later, at the party, Mallory stood outside near a house, a smile on her face as she admired the creature standing before her. When she was human, she had spent most of her time at French Court with her favorite horse, Starling.

"I see you still fancy horses," A familiar voice spoke up, causing Mallory to turn her head to see that it was Klaus.

Klaus walked over to Mallory, standing beside her as she stared at the horse, "I'm not going to answer until you tell me why the hell you invited me here." Mallory replied with an attitude, giving Klaus an annoyed look.

"I fancy you, Mallory. I always have," Klaus confessed to the female vampire, whose seemed to look a bit nervous at that moment, "Is that so hard to believe?"

"After the way you've treated me, yes," she snapped at him, not even attempting to be nice after hearing his confession about liking her, "And why?"

"Why wouldn't I fancy you?" Klaus responded, smiling at Mallory, "You're beautiful. You're unpredictable, fearless, and unimaginably strong willed. You're smarter than everyone around you. You allow yourself to love and you'll do anything for those people," He paused for a moment, looking down to see Mallory looking as if she was taken aback by his response, "I enjoy you."

"Well, that's a pity for you. I'm already spoken for," Mallory responded with an attitude, "By Tyler, if you haven't notice."

"I could've sworn you two ended things." Klaus commented and Mallory gave him an annoyed look.

"Yeah, because of that stupid sire bond he has with you." She told him rudely.

"So you aren't spoken for." He pointed out, causing Mallory to roll her eyes.

She scoffed loudly, avoiding eye contact with Klaus, "Can we just stop talking about it?" She asked him a pleading tone.

"Fine by me." Klaus replied, turning to look at the horse in front of them, "You know, horses are the opposite of people. They're loyal. My father hunted me for a thousand years and the closest he ever came was the day he killed my favorite horse. He severed its neck with a sword as a warning." Klaus explained to Mallory, who couldn't help but give him a bit of a sympathetic look.

"Well, your father was a dick," She commented, causing Klaus to quietly chuckle at her accuracy, "Trust me. He threatened to kill me more times than I can count."

"Well, then, it's a good thing you killed him." Klaus commented with a grin on his face.

She turned to Klaus and found herself staring at him intently, only to realize what was happening. She shook her head slightly, just before looking away, "To respond to your previous comment, yes, I still like horses," She replied before adding in a rude remark, "But I happen to like people and they actually like me as well so I'll be inside."

_____

Meanwhile later, Mallory was talking with Mayor Lockwood when Esther spoke up, "Good Evening, Ladies and Gentleman," She announced to the attendees of the ball, "Waiters are coming around with champagne. I invite you all to join me in raising a glass. It provides me with no greater joy then to see my family back together as one. I'd like to thank you all for being part of this spectacular evening. Cheers!"

"Cheers!" Everyone repeated after her and Mallory turned to Mayor Lockwood, clinking glasses with her before drinking from the glass.

Later, Klaus and Mallory were alone in a room filled with paintings on the walls and Mallory found herself admiring them, "So what did is it that you wanted to show me?" Mallory questioned the male hybrid, "I was in a bit of an interesting conversation with Mayor Lockwood."