25

The following day, Mallory, Caroline, and Elena were walking through the gym hall which was being decorated for the 20s Decade Dance. Caroline had a clipboard and was in charge of the preparations since Rebekah was missing, "So, Alaric is trying to pull himself together, why is that a bad thing?" Caroline asked Elena confused.

"I just...I wish there was something I could do." Elena admitted, picking up a chandelier. "Where do you want me to hang this thing?"

"You know what, if Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrosity she should have shown up to do it herself," Caroline complained loudly, handing the chandelier to a a student that was passing by, "Just no!"

Caroline's eyes widened in alarm when she saw Matt and Jeremy hanging up on the ceiling the wrong way, "What are you doing?" She asked the two boys, causing them to turn to her, "You can't just hang them! They're supposed to trickle down."

Once Matt had made a comment to Jeremy about the star having to "Trickle", the two boys smiled and continued to do what they were doing, "Look at them all bromancy." Caroline commented to Elena and Mallory.

"Yeah, I asked Matt to help Jeremy readjust. He got him his old job back at the Grill," Elena informed Caroline and Mallory, a large smile on her face.

"Well, that was nice of him," Mallory commented, smiling slightly as she looked over at Jeremy and Matt before back at Elena and Caroline.

"Jeremy has got a lot on his mind. The whole thing with Alaric has got him really stressed out." Elena replied, letting out a sigh.

"You sure it has nothing to do with witnessing you and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?" Caroline suddenly asked Elena, causing Mallory to smile and shake her head, which shocked Elena since she expected a different reaction from the girl.

"I didn't tell you that so you could torture me with it," Elena complained, causing Caroline to smile at her.

"Aww, what are friends for?" Caroline replied jokingly, causing Mallory and Elena to quietly laugh, "So who are you bringing to the dance?"

Elena wrapped a feather boa around her neck as she looked over at Caroline and Mallory, "What do you mean? I thought you, Mallory, Bonnie, and I were going as girl dates."

"Hm, Mallory and I are being each other's date and Bonnie has a date," Caroline informed Elena, saying the second part of her sentence quieter than the beginning.

"What?" Elena asked, removing the feather boa from her neck as she gave Caroline a shocked look.

"Jamie called and wanted to see her so she asked him," Caroline explained to Elena, who hummed in response, "So here's a thought, why don't you ask Stefan?"

"I can't ask him on a date," Elena argued, glancing around before continuing, "I just made out with his brother."

"All the more reason!" Caroline replied without hesitation, "Look you're supposed to be figuring out what you want, that's what Stefan wanted you to do, right?"

"Yeah, but-" Elena began to cat, but Caroline cut her off.

"But nothing! I've watched The Bachelor, okay?" Caroline told Elena, "Fair is fair. It is Stefan's turn."

"Yeah and you're not biased or anything," Elena commented, letting out a loud scoff.

"I'm sorry, but Stefan is your epic love. And I'm not going down without a fight." Caroline explained before walking off, leaving Mallory with Elena.

Elena was quiet for a long moment before finally turning to Mallory, "And what do you think?" She questioned Mallory curiously, "You love your brothers equally. I know for a fact that you're not biased."