7

France, 1224

The following day, Mallory approached Kol, where she stood just outside the castle as he shot arrows with a bow at the wooden target that was about twenty feet away from him, "I can't help but wonder whose face you're imagining on that piece of wood," She spoke up and Ko didn't bother to turn to her, "A certain fiancee of mine, I presume?"

Kol chuckled, a smile on his face as he glanced at Mallory for a brief moment before looking away, "You are the one who said it, love, not me," He commented and Mallory walked closer to him, smiling.

"I was unlucky enough to witness the scene that occurred between the two of you at breakfast. You're lucky they didn't have you arrested. Charles comes from one of the wealthiest families in Europe, he even has the blood of English royalty coursing through his veins. He has the whole entire country backing him. One wrong move and he could have you executed," She explained to him and Kol scoffed, feeling it to be ironic that Mallory really thought an ordinary man like Charles could take down someone as powerful as him, an original vampire.

Kol sighed, taking off his leather gloves before setting them down with the bow and arrow he was using. He began to walk closer to Mallory, "I don't think I am to feel lucky anymore. I used to; like the day I was lucky enough to meet you, the time we were lucky enough to spend together after that day. Now, those days when I think about them, they make me feel like I'm being daggered in the heart."

Mallory shook her head, sighing out, "Let us not speak of this, Kol," She told him quietly.

She went to grab his hand but knew that it put them at risk of being found out. Not caring anymore of the consequences, she stepped forward and Kol immediately cupped her face with his hands, "Kol, I want--I just wish we could--" She began to say, but Kol cut her off.

"Mallory, you were right when you said we couldn't," He warned her quietly, shaking his head as he glanced around, "We can't be anywhere inside or anywhere near the castle together without having people grow suspicious. It puts your life at risk and I refuse to let that happen."

Mallory was silent for a long moment before finally thinking of a plan, "Maybe we could find some other place, then," She suggested, "Meet me just outside the woods at sunrise tomorrow. There's a small field located there, surrounded by bushes, no one would be able to see us from the castle. It can be our secret meeting place from this day forward. No one would ever know."

Kol remained silent and nodded his head, agreeing with her plan, "I must go now," Mallory told him, placing Kol's hand in her own. She kissed his hand, just before walking off.

PRESENT DAY, MYSTIC FALLS

The night before the first day of school, Mallory was in one of the classrooms along with Tyler, Elena, Caroline, and Bonnie, placing mouse traps everywhere for senior prank night, "Why are you even helping us with senior prank night?" Bonnie asked Mallory curiously, "Aren't you a junior?"

Caroline smiled, glancing between her and Mallory, "Haven't you heard?" She asked in a joking way, "Mallory was too smart to be a junior so they let her skip a grade."

The group began to laugh and Mallory nodded her head, "Honestly, the town should really be giving the school's staff vervain. I compelled them to allow me to be a senior even though I'm supposed to be a junior, I rarely ever actually get through every single class period of the day without skipping, yet I still have an 'A' in every class." She explained and Elena was quick to point something out.

"Except for Ric," She spoke up, "He still makes you do all the tests."

"But I still have an A," Mallory commented and Tyler quick to add in something.