17

The following morning, Mallory woke up to a pile of clothes being thrown at her, "What the hell!" She exclaimed, quickly sitting up to see that it was Damon who had thrown the clothes at her.

"Wake up, sleepy head," he told her in a sing-song voice, "I know you're all depressed because your hybrid boyfriend left town, but you need to pull it together for at least today."

"Why?" Mallory asked quietly, "There's no point."

"Well, Mallory, we have a meeting to attend with our favorite original in ten minutes in the woods."

"Elijah's not my favorite original," Mallory reminded him, "Kol—" She trailed off, noticing the look on Damon's face, "You know what? Never mind. I'll be ready in five."

"You better be downstairs in five or else..." Damon jokingly threatened her before heading downstairs and out of her room.

After getting dressed and leaving the Boarding House with Damon, Mallory walked through the woods with her brother, off to secretly meet with Elijah.

As they did so, Damon had Elena and Alaric on speaker as he and Mallory talked with them about what had happened at the Gilbert Residence that same morning with Sheriff Forbes, "So you're the prime suspect, huh?" Damon asked Elena on the phone in a mocking tone.

"She doesn't think that I did it," Elena argued defensively, clearly not liking that Damon was accusing her of such a thing, even if he was doing in a playful manner, "She's just trying to find out why somebody used one of my family's weapons to kill a council member."

"Well, why don't you just ask Ric if his dirty little doctor had access to the weapons." Damon questioned as he shared a glance with Mallory, who was quietly laughing.

"You're on speaker phone, dick." Alaric told Damon in annoyed tone, causing Mallory to laugh once more.

"Honestly, Damon's got a point," Mallory pointed out, causing Alaric and Elena to groan in annoyance, even though they already had the feeling Mallory would take Damon's side, just as she always did, "The first suspect's usually the right one. There's no need to get so defensive."

"Brian Walters was killed days ago, alright?" Alaric said defensively, "I didn't show Meredith this stuff until last night!"

"It wasn't Meredith." Elena added in, taking Alaric's side.

"But Brian Walters was her ex-boyfriend and Ric saw them fighting that night." Damon reminded Elena, who was quick to get defensive once more.

"It's not Meredith!" Elena replied in an annoyed tone, "Okay? I refuse to believe that your luck with women is that tragic."

"Well then, who else knows about your secret little stash of hunting weapons, huh?" Mallory questioned Alaric curiously.

"Who doesn't?" Alaric retorted and Mallory shrugged, realizing he had a bit of a point, "I got weapons everywhere, here, the school, my loft, your car."

"It's Klaus," Damon stated, "It has to be, he's screwing with us."

Mallory sighed, rolling her eyes before speaking up, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't think this has anything to do with Klaus, alright? These murders are not his M.O.  If he wanted to screw with you, you would definitely know he was the one who did it.He would be directly telling us that he killed these people, not have us starting an investigation on it." She explained, just before Elena spoke up.

"What if it was Stefan?" Elena spoke up uneasily, "He was crazy that night. And you know he was trying to get underneath Klaus's skin, he was capable of pretty much anything."