44

It was morning time and Mallory stood with Caroline in the kitchen as the latter spoke to Elena on the phone. "Tell me you're not serious," Caroline complained while Mallory smirked slightly at their failure.

"I wish we weren't," Elena replied, sighing in defeat, "When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were both gone, too. Shane needs Bonnie to cast a spell on Jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses."

"Well, where's Damon in all this?" Mallory spoke up, her lips curling upwards as she spoke into the phone.

"We had an argument. I thought he was just taking a walk, but then when we went to the beach, we saw signs of a struggle," She explained and Klaus stared at Mallory, who was trying to hide her smirk.

She was behind all of their failures, wasn't she?

"Meaning what?" Caroline asked, a concerned look on her face.

"Meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him," Elena replied, clearly feeling uneasy about the whole ordeal.

"Do you think Shane took him?" Caroline questioned, confused.

"No, I mean he's not strong enough to take Damon on, even with the element of surprise," Elena explained calmly, "He must have someone or at least a few someones helping him."

"I am so sorry," Caroline sighed in defeat, "I wish I was there to help."

"Well, maybe there's something you can do from home," Elena suggested in a calm tone.

"Anything," Caroline quickly replied, feeling the need to help, "Tell me."

"So Shane's looking for the cure. We think we can find him. We have pictures of Jeremy's tattoo, but we just can't translate the map," Elena explained and Caroline sighed, realizing what she was getting at.

"Unless you get the hunter's sword from Klaus," She realized and Mallory turned her head, smiling at Klaus, who looked smug as well.

"He'll never give up the sword," Mallory could hear Rebekah complain to Stefan in the background.

"Yeah, but if anyone's gonna get him to give it up, it's Mallory," Stefan pointed out and Mallory's lips curled upwards.

"He will never give up the sword. And even if Mallory could convince him, she wouldn't. She's not on our side," Rebekah explained, much to Stefan's confusion, "She doesn't want the cure found. She's afraid of Silas as Kol was. And Klaus is terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moment's worth of happiness from being human. On that, he and Mallory think the same."

"Well, maybe he doesn't have to give it up," Stefan realized as he turned to Elena, "I mean, Klaus is stuck in Elena's house by Bonnie's spell. He can't go anywhere. There's only so many places you can hide a three-foot piece of metal."

"I'll find it," Caroline assured them in a calm tone, "Just email me photos of Jeremy's tattoos. I'll find the sword and I'll call you back."

"Thank you, Caroline," Elena told Caroline, just before they both hung up the phone.

Once she was done talking on the phone, Caroline turned to Mallory, who made no attempt to stand up from her seat. "Aren't you coming to help find the sword?"

"Not a chance in hell," Mallory confessed, smiling as she shook her head, "But you're more than willing to ask Tyler to help you."

Caroline sighed, shaking her head at Mallory before she left the room. Once she was gone, Mallory stood up. She walked over to the cabinet, taking out two glasses before she poured bourbon into both of them.