they're just teenagers, afterall

PLANS NEVER GO THE way we want it, that's something Wendy have learned a long time ago, and has to keep learning at her own expense. Was she ready for a new school year with magic and spells? More than ever. Was she ready to go through the plan that they have planned for her? Not as much.

Wendy could only think of what was about to happen when they were creating the first potion of the year. Slughorn was prepping the students with their ingredients when Ron and Harry finally came in class, reminding her of the Half-Blood Prince's book. Should have she stopped him from getting it or should have she allowed him to get closer to their professor.

To do nothing is the hardest thing to do.

"Miss Stone, isn't it?" Slughorn woke the girl from her daydreaming.

"Yes, sir?"

"You're doing an excellent job, as I can see, excellent indeed..." he observed her pot before smiling at her with a strange face, "But I don't think murmuring words under your breath is helping your classmates to focus."

Wendy looked around and Hermione was just observing them from the corner of her eyes, Ron, who pretty much gave up on his potion, looked away just when Wendy caught him, and Harry, Harry was too focused on his new found book to even notice anything.

"I'm sorry professor," she apologised.

"No mind!" He cheered as he walked away towards another table, "As long as the potion comes to fruit, one does not need to know how."

Wendy came back to focus on her own bubbling concoction, this time by actually paying attention. She used to be the worst in her class, until the twins showed her their tips and secrets to succeed without much effort. The twins were never ones to follow instructions and rules, and that aided them to see things from different point of views. She still wasn't quite as good as them, but going by instincts and gut feeling, was definitely helping her more than how following instructions was doing for Hermione.

Little to say, only three in class were able to make a successful potion, Wendy and Harry included. It was good Wendy left the raggedy book alone, Harry was going to need it.

"Wendy, are you sure you're alright?" Hermione asked one night as they were eating dinner in the Great Hall.

"Absolutely, why?"

"Ever since this Summer you've been quite..." she paused to find the right words.

"Kooky," Ron said mouthful of mashed.

"Kooky?"

"Kooky," Harry repeated and quickly followed with an explanation, before Wendy could get offended. "But not bad kooky! Just— worrying kooky."

"What is a kooky?" She asked confused.

"You know..." Ron tried to explain with words, before giving up and just twirl his finger on the side of his head.

Ahh, "crazy".

Hermione sighed and took the lead, "We're just worried for you— you haven't been yourself."

"I'm sorry about that."

"There's nothing to be sorry about," Hermione reassured the girl.

"Remember, whatever it is, we're here," Harry continued, "You're not alone."

"That's right," Ron added.

Wendy smiled at the three, and she could already feel a lot of weight coming off from her. Everything was going to be alright. She looked away and her eyes fell on Neville, who was happily eating as he read a book of herbology. She wasn't sure why she couldn't look away, until she realised how one of the twins would have been in that same seat giving her a cheeky wink and some encouraging words.

"Awfully quiet without the twins, isn't it?" She said absentmindedly, still looking away from the three.

She couldn't see their faces, but she knew they were looking at each other for answers. At the end she heard Ron speak, "It really is."

Time passed faster than the pages turning in Wendy's school books. She, in time, learned how to come back to her usual self and started to actually live as a normal student of Hogwarts. Everything was still the same, the four would always be together, Michael would come to bother Wendy from time to time, but mostly stayed with Cedric and his other friends. Wendy would often see Draco in the hallways, but he'd change direction before they'd come too close.

She wondered how many times he deviated his path before she could even see him, but at least he was still there. It was odd though, as she knew he was the one behind the weird happenings with Katie Bell. All her insticts told her to stop Draco from doing anything, but it was nothing she could stop. But Michael would always remind her otherwise. The only comfort she'd find from Draco was that, from time to time, when no one else was around, he'd also give her a nod and a soft smile. Reminding her, that they were still friends.

The only thing missing were the twins, and Wendy couldn't explain how much bigger was the hole they left than she expected. Although Peeves was doing a terribly good job in continuing the twins' mischiefs, she still felt the quiet and emptiness of the halls.

She often thought of sending them letters, but not once she actually did. Writing Sirius was already quite the work, after the ministry made sure to pardon the man from all charges. Harry would receive letters every time Hedwig could; poor owl had so little rest. At one point they decided to use Hedwig and Noir in turn, so both owls would be able to take some rest.

Wendy would also write to Remus and, sometimes, to both Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, sending them news of Ron too, as he barely wrote them himself.

Life at Hogwarts has never been calmer, but it only reminded Wendy of how that was the calm before the storm, and often she wished to just stop time to where it was.

But time was tricky and had its own plans, and before she could do much, November was there and Gryffindor were scheduled to play Quidditch and Ron was more than nervous, even suggesting on staying in and calling sick. But Wendy knew that his fight with Ginny and the fact that Hermione kissed Krum before, might be the real reason why.

But he followed through and he did great without the need of Liquid Luck. Wendy looked for Hermione during the messy celebration, which only made her think of how happy Fred and George would have been if they were there. But the moment she found Hermione, she was already walking away from the party.

Wendy urged Harry to run after her not knowing if she should have too. This was an important part of their friendship but she knew that if it were her, Hermione would have been by her side without hesitation.

It wasn't long before she reached the two, but they were quiet in their company, for only little sobs could be heard echo. Wendy took a seat beside Hermione, not sure if she should give her space or say something.

Wendy was expecting Ron and Lavender