pink smokes

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL was quite weird when you graduated years ago from King's College, in London. But as she was waiting news from Dumbledore about her return to her real time, she had nothing better to do. Magic was wonderful, she would have never said no to learning how to control it.

Although, she did have to catch up to her school mates. It was her first year, but she had to follow  the third year's classes. When she had time, she would go to the library and study books for first and second years. She could handle Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms, but she seemed to have difficulties remembering properties and ingredients for Potions.

"Are you doing alright there?" Fred and George sat on the other side of the table.

"You two are in the library?" She asked incredulously.

"You're new here and you already think of us like we don't frequent places like libraries?" Fred said.

"Really hurtful, Wendy." George continued with a disappointed look.

"Sorry, I just don't see you often here." Wendy tried to save herself. Which worked as the two just grinned at her.

"So what's wrong? You look like you were about to kick that book across the room." Fred asked again.

"I hate Potions."

"We can help you." George proposed.

Wendy looked at them. It wasn't often that they were serious, but that time they didn't seem to be joking about their offer, they seemed serious, as serious as the twins can get.

"Your hesitation hurts us." Fred dramatically said.

"Sorry—again—I just... are you even good at Potions?"

"To our honest opinion, yes." They both said.

"Even if I prefer Transfiguration myself," added Fred.

Wendy thought about it. In the books Rowling never mentioned about their specialty in Potions, but with all the things they sold in their joke shop they must do know some things.

"Alright then, but why are you offering me help?" She closed her book. "You don't seem to be giving such honours to Ron nor Ginny, and they're your siblings."

"That is exactly why we're not helping them." Fred said jokingly.

"And also because there is something about you we can't seem to pin point."

Wendy felt a little flutter on her chest. Dumbledore was quite clear when he said that it would be best if no one knew where she really came from. As it would create some problems with time, but she thought that her presence alone was already causing some problems. The Golden Trio was slowly becoming a foursome, as the three seemed to invite her around quite a lot. But she tried her best to stay out of it, she didn't want to mess up the timeline and course of events.

"So," she slammed the book open, trying to change subject, "Potions. Where to start?"

"So, again, how do you know if the Cure for Boils is ready?" Interrogated George.

Wendy tried her best recalling the information she just learned a few minutes ago. She was not sure how long they have been studying for, but she was quite enjoying herself as she was actually learning something. She always thought studying alone was more effective for her, but having people interrogating you was very helpful.

"Pink smoke?" She tried.

"Was that a question, George?" Fred looked over at George.

"I believe so, Fred." George shook his head in disappointment.

"No!" Wendy protested, "you know it's successful if you see pink smoke raising from the cauldron."

The two studied her while she waited for the final judgment.

"Congratulations!" The two applauded.

"You passed your test." Fred smiled proudly.

Wendy regretted double thinking their abilities. Not only they were good at Potions but also at teaching. Almost puts to shame Snape.

"Thank you guys, I owe you."

"Don't worry about it," Fred reassured her.

"It's kind of helpful also for us, to 'review' for O.W.L.s" said George.

"Never thought you guys would be types to review for exams." She admitted.

"We're not." Fred said honestly, "We're not gonna review, O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s are for people like Hermione."

"And what is for people like you two?"

"That is a secret." The two grinned mischievously.

Of course Wendy already knew what was going through their mind. Planning to open the joke shop just have been years of planning from the two, if not from their birth. But she liked making conversation with the two as they turned out to be quite amazing company.

"Aren't the tryouts for Quidditch around this time of the year?" She asked, changing subject.

"Yes, are you going to try it out?" Fred asked hopeful.

Wendy would have loved to try Quidditch, but she thought that she already had too many things to catch up on, and having to train for a sport that required a high level of attention wasn't the best for her at the moment.

"Nah, the team from last year is the best Hogwarts has seen in years—wouldn't want to stain it."

"How do you know? You haven't seen us play." Fred asked.

Wendy, fortunately, was quite witty and a fast-thinker, "uh... Lee Jordan and other students talk about the Gryffindor house so much and its golden team, I don't need to see it to know it's great."

Fred and George believed her, and happily took the claim.

"Have you guys heard?" Hermione popped out of nowhere beside them, startling the three, "Lucius Malfoy is furious about what happened to Draco, he might file against Buckbeat and Hagrid."

"What?!" The two twins exclaimed.

"Yes! I'm sure this won't be the last we will hear about it..." Hermione said, mostly to herself.

Wendy thought of the events that will take part that year, she knew everything will turn out fine that year, but same thing can't be said for the following years; she wondered if there were some things she could do to prevent future deaths. Hermione studied the face of the girl, "are you alright, Wendy?"

"Uh, yeah... just wondering if there's anything I can do to help." She answered honestly.

Hermione gave her a single nod, not entirely convinced by her answer. The witch knew something was up, but couldn't figure out what it was and, from all the classes she was taking, she didn't have much time to think about it. So best thing was to ask directly.

"Who are you?" She asked bluntly.

Wendy blinked a few times, quite startled by the question. But she must have imagined Hermione would have known. She wasn't the brightest witch of her age for nothing, and she did know a bit of time travel herself. Wendy wondered if there was anything Hermione could help her with. But she must ask Dumbledore first, it was not wise to go against the headmaster's wishes.

"I don't know what you're talking about, 'Mione," she said gathering all her books and she stood up from her chair, "but I must go before I'm late for classes. You should too, although you seem to have quite a lot of time in your hands."

She walked off leaving two confused boys behind and a even more intrigued Hermione. Was it wise for her to use those words? She didn't mind, she wanted to make that joke since the first day of school.