blood of the convent is thicker than the water in the womb

WINTER WAS ALREADY AT THE DOOR, and if it weren't for the fires inside the castle it would be barging in mercilessly. Little winds of cold would always come in the morning, bringing in the Owls with mail for the students. Because Wendy never needed one she always continued eating her breakfast, listening to news about the families of her friends.

That day, though, a little black owl landed in front of her. The two stared at each other for a long while, Wendy with her special cocoa from Dobby and the owl with a letter in its small and yellow beak. Wendy, in all honesty, was a bit scared of the bird, its claws and big wings intimidated her, despite always wanting one.

"Wendy?" Neville tried to bring her back to earth.

"Shh—" she shushed him refusing to move and talk too loudly, "I think this one got lost."

There was a moment of silence then Harry, following Wendy's lead, whispered, "maybe it's the letter from," he looked around before saying, "Sirius."

Wendy, at that, quickly put down her mug and carefully got closer to the owl. The owl, finally receiving some attention, dropped the letter calmly on her hands and made himself comfortable on the table. Wendy, still keeping her eyes on the owl, opened the letter and found a piece of parchment with bad handwriting, but it was obvious that the writer took time to make it look nicer. At the thought of Sirius concentrating on making his handwriting neat made her chuckle.

Dear Wendy darling, —she read, Sirius couldn't have known about Peter Pan, but glory if that made her happy.

I want to formally thank you for saving my life. Without you, Remus probably wouldn't have trusted me, because believe it or not, but we separated ways in bad terms years ago. I wanted to thank you for believing in me when no one else did. There's not much I know about you, but Dumbledore told me you were raised by Muggles.

It took a while before I could send this letter to you because I had some trouble procuring some money to get you a gift, and before you refuse, it's too late— It's already there. Meet Noir—your new friend. It's French for Black, so it will remind you of me. Hopefully, you'll like him, he's pretty docile, but I chose him because I saw him fighting a much bigger owl for getting his food. I knew then, he'd be best.

Wendy, with amazement, looked at owl. Now she was able to appreciate him better, black feathers covering it all up, the brown eyes that seemed to know more than she did, lazily opened and closed every once in a while. She dared to speak his name in a whisper, "Noir," and like he already knew his name, he looked over at her and stood highly.

She smiled and brought her hand out, the bird let her pet him, "hello."

"What does it say?" Harry asked anxious to know more of his godfather.

With a smile that refused to go, she continued to pet her new friend, "he gave me Noir."

"Noir?" Ron repeated.

"It's French for 'black'," Hermione explained, "I think it's the name of the owl."

"You never had an owl before?!" Ron asked shocked.

Wendy shook her head laughing but turned back to her letter right after.

There is really little that I know about you, and I don't trust people that easily, but something tells me I can put my money on you, Wendy Stone. So take care of Harry for me when I'm not around, will you?