the last flower standing

EVERYONE WAS QUITE NERVOUS
to start the new year, the Order's older members most of all. Which was quite understandable, given the fact that the Dark Lord returned. But it wasn't enough to keep the children to go to school. 

During the first day, Umbridge introduced herself, and Wendy could already feel her blood boiling of hate. She despised the woman so much she would have fought the woman bare hands just to satisfy rage. But it didn't bother her as much as how everyone did their level best to avoid Harry, thinking he was lying about the return of the Dark Lord. And just as expected, even Cedric's friends were starting to leave him out.

Cedric and Wendy didn't exchange letters as often as they used to during the Summer, partly because she had to hide her location and the other was because it was starting to feel odd between them.

She hated to admit it, but she felt like their relationship was not going to last at that point, but she couldn't bring herserlf talk about it either. So they found themselves in that awkward phase where they wouldn't look for each other openly, but whenever they would cross paths in the hallways they would exchange a shy smile, ignoring all the unspoken words between them.

"You've got to talk to him," Hermione said one night.

Wendy untied her braids and posed her ribbons on the night table beside her, "I will, I just don't think it's the right time."

"This time is as good as any," Parvati intruded, "you have no idea how lucky you are dating Cedric Diggory—you're taking that for granted."

"I'm not taking him for granted!" Wendy said pulling off the covers a bit too strongly, "I just..."

"Exactly."

"Mione, a little help?" Wendy asked looking at the girl.

"She's right, you know?"

"I don't care if she's right!" She said throwing herself on her bed, "you're my friend, defend me!"

Hermione looked over at Parvati, who simply shrugged her shoulders, "As your friend, it is my job to tell you the truth, so you can see the reality."

Letting a sigh out, Wendy closed her eyes.

Hermione sitting beside her, joined her friend on the bed, "I know it must be hard with everything going on, but I think both you and Cedric deserve to know where you are."

Hermione was right, like always, but just for once, Wendy just wanted to have a normal day as a witch in Hogwarts. Could she be asking for too much?

By the time the DA was formed, Cedric and Wendy still haven't talked to each other, except for that one time when she invited him to join Harry's class. He seemed to spend lots of his time in the library, and because of that Wendy preferred taking her studies outside. 

This made the first meeting of the DA more awkward than it already was. Harry was finding it hard to get everyone's attention, but he was just glad that everyone they invited decided to attend.

At the sound of an acute whistle, everyone turned to look at Wendy, who had two fingers in the corner of her mouth ready to whistle a second time. 

Harry took the chance of silence to welcome everyone, "We shall start with disarming spells," he said pulling out his wand, "possibly the most important spell. If you ever find yourself dueling against a Death Eater, you should remember that they are more skilled than you'll ever be— so it's important to take away the only thing that they can harm you with."

"This is stupid," Zacharias Smith scoffed.

Harry, obviously, heard the little comment but did his best to not let it get to him. He could understand the doubt they must be feeling right now, and was already grateful that they simply showed up.