the highway or no way

NEEDLESS TO SAY, Michael loved his gift. A little music box containing not only music from Peter Pan but also the memories of their makeshift umbrella-sword battles and adventures in the backyard garden. Fred and George were able to make Wendy's wishes come true, and see her special smile once again.

Although they had a great time celebrating Michael, exams were near and to top all that, there would be the long waited third and last task afterwards. Everyone did their best to study, Ron and Harry asked Hermione to teach them Transfiguration, while Wendy was helping out Michael with his accelerated studies. But, other things were going through his head at that time.

"Is what we're doing really fine?" Michael asked.

"Teaching you second year Potions?" She asked unsure of the topic of discussion.

"No," he said pushing away his quilt and facing her with a frown, "us being here... changing things with the Horcruxes and... You and Cedric."

"What do you mean?" She asked, hoping that what he was saying wasn't what she was thinking of.

"The butterfly effect," he simply explained, "you change one thing and chaos will come—the diadem was supposed to be found at the end of the story! And you—Cedric is supposed to be with Cho Chang—don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you two... You look great together, but it's not right!"

Wendy looked around to make sure no one was listening, fortunately everyone was too busy studying for their exams. Then she looked back down at her own books and notes, not sure of what to say.

"I'm quite aware of how things should be, but it doesn't mean they're right," she whispered, "I'm not going to stand here and do nothing while my favourite characters die in front of me. Reading it is one thing... But to experience it after I've developed a bond with them is another," she paused, "I am not sorry for changing things."

"What if it will worsen things?" He asked ready, "what if because of this one of the actual important characters die and You-Know-Who wins? What if—" he didn't even want to say it "—what if you die?"

"I'm not goi—"

"You were so close so many times, Wendy."

"Okay," she paused, "But I won't die."

"Don't you think you're risking it?" His voice was desperate, "don't push it, Wendy."

"What do you want me to do?" She asks desperate to end the conversation.

He paused knowing what her reaction will be like, "Let Cedric go."

"WHAT?!" She stood in anger, this time catching people's attention. Michael looked around, but at that point he couldn't be bothered to care. "How could you ask me to do that?!"

"It's for your own good," he murmurs.

"Bullshit, Michael," Wendy grabbed her books and took one last look at Michael, "bullshit."

As Wendy stormed off, Hermione looked at Michael for answers and he could only shake his head and go back to his books. He hates fighting with her sister, especially at that time, when she was the only thing he had. But it was exactly because of that that he couldn't let her do irrational decisions. This was about survival until they could go back home.

Unfortunately for him, Wendy didn't have the same mindset. Her return home was still in her thoughts, but it was buried deep inside her mind, hidden behind all the plans she had to make the story better and save her friends.

"Hey guys," Fred and George greeted Ron and his friends, only to receive a weird nod from everyone.

Noticing they were missing a member George asked, "where's Wendy?"