a yule ball without the ball nor the yule

WE OFTEN TAKE FOR GRANTED the ordinary things in life. Our electricity, phones, wi-fi, tvs, and ball pens. Fortunately, for Wendy, there were wizards all around her, brining this to her attention.

"This is the best invention anyone has ever made, I tell you," Fred said with enthusiasm.

"Imagine all the other things Muggles have taught of," George pushed him more.

"Without magic, Muggles have to think of ways to make their lives easier," Michael sat down on the couch, beside his sister, with his hot cocoa.

Wendy was still writing on her notebook and has been ever since that night at the headmaster's office. She's been bringing it and the ballpen around the castle, catching the attention of a few other students too. Everyone wondering what kind of spell she was using to not tint the pen on ink.

But those people quickly moved from her when twins told everyone to not fret as they would be releasing it as a new product in their small business, soon enough.

"Are you done yet?" Michael asked, but Wendy didn't answer.

The twins quickly forgot about their 'ball pens' ideas and sat down in front of Wendy, staring at her. The weird feeling of being stared at brought the girl to look up, finding three boys studying her.

"What?"

"You've wasted so much time on that thing," George said reflecting her mother's image, hands on his hips and look to kill.

"It's to—"

"—save our future," Fred imitated her little voice, "we know. But you're killing your own present by doing so."

Fred and George have become such a big part of Wendy's life, always around her because of Michael. Michael, in turn, quite enjoyed the attention from the twins, and felt really priviledged to be let in in their small bubble.

Michael couldn't help but nod. He knew what was coming but, unlike his sister, he was surprisingly more relaxed; he thought that it was probably because by being in the eye of the storm, he couldn't see the the big picture. And although, Fred and George knew that there was something worrying Wendy about the future, they weren't still sure of how big the problem was, and prefered to be kept away from that mess.

"I know!" Fred exclaimed, "We should have a party!"

"A party?" Michael asked, not remembering any party in the movies.

"A party!" George agreed, "should be somewhere cool and let's invite everyone!"

"What about the three broomsticks?" Fred proposed.

"If you're going to invite everyone, we're not gonna fit in there," Wendy said still keeping her eyes on the notebook.

"Are we even allowed to just throw a party?" Michael asked concerned.

"I don't see why not!" Fred answered him nonchalantly and looked over at Wendy, "so, will you join in?"

Wendy looked up at the boy, then at his twin, both with such excitement in their eyes. The two gingers with hair always so messy and countless freckles to mark each mischief they've caused. Their smile was so wide it brought you joy, even if you knew there'd be some little quirk behind their grin.

It was too late for Wendy to even try to win that argument, and she knew deep down that they would have still thrown the party even if she said no.

"Alright then," she said giving up, "to celebrate the contestants!"

The three boys smiled and together they brought up their imaginary drink and cheered together, "to celebrate the contestants!"