Chapter 2 - Talk Till Midnight

One hour later, at 7 pm

Nandini stared at the phone screen glowing before her. The ten digit was saved in her contect and now it's on her dial list. Inside her heart was beating fast and her mind was blank. Few minutes ago she was so exited but now she don't know what to do. From the side there was an annoying soung.

Crunch~ crunch~

Nandini turned her head to glare at the person. The accused person was sitting on bed almost in half lying  position and there's was a 4 packets of chips, a box of pizza, a bowl of ice cream and a bottle of pepsi. She was pushing a mouthful of chips making 'crunch' sound.

"What?why are you giving me that look?" Sanchita frowned and grabbed a pice of pizza "I have worked hard for you and now you won't let me enjoy my rewards?"

Nandini fought hard not to roll her eyes at her. Well, Sanchita was right, if it was not for her she wouldn't be able to get such information in her hand. She don't know what trick her friend actually played to get this information out from the registered office but somehow she was glad. She don't even care about that trick nor about the huge money treat that Sanchita took from her as a reward. Not that she is in short of money.

Nandini is the daughter of rich family. Money was something she don't have to think twice before spending. Since childhood she was most pampered and precious daughter' of the family. Her father does everything she ask, give everything that she want.

"Are you still going to stare on that?" Sanchita asked again "I have not worked so hard just for you to stare at it. Since you got the chance, you should make a good use of it. Shouldn't you?"

"I know you don't have to keep reminding me about your favour again and again" Nandini rolled her eyes.
"I already paid your favour with a favouring treat"

Sanchita raised her eyebrow before so she took another bite of her pizza piece. Nandini looked at her phone again. The troubling heart is racing fast and her grip on the phone become tighter. She sighed- now or never. She chanted this two word before finally deciding what to do. Sanchita's eyes observing her friend's posture before she shook her head. She knew her friend has changed since she met that boy. She never saw Nandini taking such interest in anyone.

Nandini finally managed to press the call bottom with encouraging herself repeatedly. The other side rang and the sound made her anxious even more. The ring was going but no one picked up. Closing her eyes she thought it was futile but when her finger about to touch the red sign the ring replaced by a mescaline voice.

"Hello, who is this?"

Nandini's eyes went wide like a saucer pan. Finally he answered. Calming herself she managed to voice out.

"Are you Ma-Manik?"

"Yes, who are you? Do I know you?" The other line replied.

"Um...yes- uh may be not" she shook her head before face palming herself. What she actually saying? Does that even make any sense?

"Do I?" The voice sound confused.

"Yeah- I mean we met in the college" she replied biting her lips. How she is going to explain this to him? She is totally behaving like a little school girl admiring her first crush. But it's true indeed, he is her first crush.

"I do not remember that. When did we meet?"

"Oh..that.." Nandini paused. Should she say about incidents. But what will she reply if he ask how she got his number. Wouldn't it be embarrassing?

"Hello, are you there?"

She shook her head "ah yes ..we met today. I mean we bumped eachother" she finally said out. It's better to be honest. A start of everything should be from honesty from self to others.

"Oh..you-you are that girl?" The other voice asked.

"Yes?"

"I am sorry I did not know at first. Are you alright?" He asked.

"Yes, I am fine"

"How did you get my number?" Nandini closed her eyes. This is what she was fearing about. What will she answer now?

"I-I- one of my friend gave it to me" she sighed.

"Oh..okay. since you already got it. I wonder do we have same classes?"

"Um..no, my choice is arts" she replied immediately.

"So we have different motive?"

"Yeah, may be"

"You are new here?I never saw you before" Nandini said again.

"Not really a junior actually. Just rejoined"

"You left before? Why?" She can't help but ask.

"Yeah, depended on some personal issues" his voice sounds casual.

"Oh, I am sorry. I did not meant to invade your personal matters" Nandini felt guilty.

"No- I mean, you don't need to apologise anyway. You are not the first one who is curious about it" the person chuckled on other line.

Hearing his light laugh Nandini felt hotness on her cheeks. God, she is behaving like some small school girl who just got her favourite celebritie's autograph.
They did not said anything for a minute.

"Um...what are you doing?" He asked after sometimes.

"Nothing"

"Where do you live?"

"In hostel, near the college" She replied.

"You are originally not from here?"

"No, I come for studies"

"Oh...good,since we study in the same college, there's huge possibility of our frequent meetings"

"I guess so" and looking forward for it. She wanted to add the line but couldn't. She don't want him to feel like a clingy type.

"Oh okay so..." Then he suddenly chuckled. Nandini frowned.

"What's funny?" She can't help but ask.

"No, I am sorry it's nothing. Actually I never talked with anyone this long on phone. So today looks like I really did broke that record for sure"

"You did not?" Nandini felt weird. Is it mean she was the first one?

"Yeah, you don't believe it?"

"No, it's not like I don't want to but it's kinda hard so" she hesitated.

"I guess, no one would too. But it's true anyway, and depends on other if want to believe or not"

"If so then may be I can say, I believe you" her lips tugged with a smile.

They talked for a while before they decided to hang up. Nandini stared on the screen and smiled. It was her first time for approaching to a man. A first move she ever made after she know what is feelings. When she turned around she rolled her eyes. Her very best friend asleep on bed in kind of posture that no one want to describe. There's a small packets lying around her. She grabbed the packets and cleaned the bed before tugging the quilt over her friend and finally sitting on her bed. It's already midnight and late.

When she lay on bed there was a smiling on her face.

She finally did it.